NAD: Bugera Vintage 5 (Rat Modded)

Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
So I received this little unit today and I have to say I am impressed!

I really dig what Andy at Rat Valve Mods does so I knew it was going to be good but this is really something cool!

It's the first really "bedroom" amp that I've had where each guitar has different characteristics when you plug it in and you have to dial in a sound, the tone knob is very reactive and versatile even on 10 it's not ice picky treble making your ears bleed.

Dynamics are great too and the gain even at 10 is actually something useable, not some fuzzy, waspy wall of sound.  Very pleased so far!

Not sure what it sounds like stock but it seems it's a very decent springboard to mod and improve.  Can easily get some classic rock crunch out of this, won't go up to br00talz metal but I don't play that kind of stuff so I'm not bothered!  Can't wait to get my G5 and see how that sounds with the amp.

Picture of the little one:

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/zedx128k/003_zps9bc466ca.jpg
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    Nice!

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Rat mod stuff is awesome!
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Good snag...I got two RAT modded amps (think I might have got the Class 5 from you Mr Arktik on the old forum & had a pint in the pheasant inn about 2 yrs back ????. The RAT mods are excellent
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2350
    Sweet :D
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    bazxkr said:
    Good snag...I got two RAT modded amps (think I might have got the Class 5 from you Mr Arktik on the old forum & had a pint in the pheasant inn about 2 yrs back ????. The RAT mods are excellent
    You did indeed!  Was a good laugh that evening.

And Yep, Rat mods are top drawer!  Andy does a fantastic job.
    Arktik83 said:
    bazxkr said:
    You did indeed!  Was a good laugh that evening.

And Yep, Rat mods are top drawer!  Andy does a fantastic job.
    It certainly was my friend ! I've eaten a couple of times at the Pheasant whilst staying at the Marriot & they do really good food.

Just took a look at Andys site...yr Bugera looks really good. Headphones jack too for middle of the night noodling. How do you find the three power settings 0.1, 1 & 5 watt ? Imagine the 5 watt out to a 2x12 would be pretty mean too

Nice package with a small footprint. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12303
    Nice one,Ive had a RAT class 5 and a Epi Junior, they are great. Bugera are very good stock too. I had the V22 it was an ace amp.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Just took a look at Andys site...yr Bugera looks really good. Headphones jack too for middle of the night noodling. How do you find the three power settings 0.1, 1 & 5 watt ? Imagine the 5 watt out to a 2x12 would be pretty mean too

Nice package with a small footprint. 
    The settings are really good, 5 watt is pretty loud but not stupid loud, I'd say if you don't dime it and or add massive levels of distortion it's "bedroom friendly" wouldn't play it in the lounge whilst the telly is on but still good enough.  1 watt you can start to crank it, obviously gives you a lot of oomph still but some really nice tone.  At 0.1 you can pretty much dime everything and get that classic rock crunch. 

It's quite responsive to your volume control too, the Reverb can go from little shimmer to proper surf rock style which is nice, some reverbs are just very linear, this is quite versatile.

All in all a cracking amp and came with a Thomann amp cover too! 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3619
    Out of interest what actually goes into a Bugera  Rat modification?
    http://www.ratvalveamps.com/

Info on the site is very good. See for yourself.......... some good demos too
    Neil said:
    Like I said I don't know what the original stock amp was like but from what I've experienced of low wattage valve amps Andy makes the actual tone and gain control's useable, I found a lot of amps would just cut straight off once you went below "3" on the gain stage and then when you got to "10" it was just a complete mess. 

Also with the volume they would just hike up, whereas with Andy's mods even on 10 there is actual definition in the sound.  The standby switch he installs is great and heavy duty, the rectifier is a noticeable difference with the "sag" of the amp more pronounced.

The main difference is the bias and gain switches he installs, the gain can really pump the amp and to have that at a flick of a switch is great. 
    bazxkr said:
    http://www.ratvalveamps.com/

Info on the site is very good. See for yourself.......... some good demos too
    Thanks for the link, very interesting stuff. 
    Arktik83 said:
    Neil said:
    Like I said I don't know what the original stock amp was like but from what I've experienced of low wattage valve amps Andy makes the actual tone and gain control's useable, I found a lot of amps would just cut straight off once you went below "3" on the gain stage and then when you got to "10" it was just a complete mess. 

Also with the volume they would just hike up, whereas with Andy's mods even on 10 there is actual definition in the sound.  The standby switch he installs is great and heavy duty, the rectifier is a noticeable difference with the "sag" of the amp more pronounced.

The main difference is the bias and gain switches he installs, the gain can really pump the amp and to have that at a flick of a switch is great. 
    Cheers. Nice to have a first hand impression.