Have Devi gone bust?

What's Hot
frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
Ebay is flooded with non working pedals
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    I thought that had already happened?  Or was that just a failed kickstarter?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    She blew half the cash people put forward for the console on takeaways and meth or something then said she couldn't give people what she had promised so hence she is no more in the pedal game.  IIRC she is starting a new venture producing 8 bit video games.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really interesting pedals, but heard mixed reviews about build quality. Mags think it's amazing, forums less so...

Bloody magazines probably didn't even open them up.

Wonder why 8 bit video games?
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    Wonder why 8 bit video games?
    Because they're easy to make, there's a big mobile market for them, and it's the "cool" thing for indie devs to do...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    ^^
    ...and they don't involve difficult things like soldering and making reliable pedals... 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The two I've seen inside were the worst made pedals, or possibly the worst anything that I've ever come across which was intended to be sold commercially.

Just total junk. I don't care what they sound like, anything that poorly made is a rip-off. In fact I don't even know what they were supposed to sound like since they weren't working, and were such a mess inside that I refused to even try to find out what was wrong with them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Never got the praise heaped on Devi stuff. It just all seemed like hundreds of slight variations on oscillating velcro fuzz unusable in most practical musical purposes that was both expensive and badly made. 

The followup act of doing a kickstarter then spending all the money without producing anything is the shit icing on the shit flavoured cake. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Yup, about the size if it. Totally incompetent at virtually every aspect of the music industry except for social media. Even then...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @monquixote - That completely sums up my view too.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9502
    I bought into the hype (cheaply!) and built myself a Soda Meiser. The circuit is unlike any fuzz or distortion I've seen and it strikes me as something stumbled on almost by accident with somebody who knows a little about electronics but not too much - not necessarily a criticism, as it sounds unlike anything else I've tried. Also very quiet as it seems the transistors turn off when there's no signal rather than amplify noise with a high gain.

Nice thing to try a build if you fancy something different to the ubiquitous Fuzz Face/Big Muff clones.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Whilst i wouldn't disagree with the comments above, i have one, a vintage fuzz something or other, which as thermionic says does sound unlike anything else ive ever played, in a good way, rather than the standard expected octave fuzz. Cant comment on build quality and agree its very poor form to mess up like that, at least she never resorted to tubescreamer clones to make ends meet!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 99
    edited June 2014
    Crappily made pedals, most of which are very very slight variations on the exact same circuit (though to a certain extent I suppose you could say that about a lot of fuzzes). The Soda Meiser and Vintage Fuzz Master for example are the exact same circuit, but with 1 of the 4 transistors in it flipped the other way round. I had a Truly Beautiful Disaster for a short time and you could not get anything useable out of it at all - was it working properly? I dont know, but then neither did Devi most likely, just soldered everything in (right way round or not, doesnt matter apparently), wrapped it in black tape, and charged £200 for it. The kickstarter thing is the icing on the cake
    The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
    Crappily made pedals, most of which are very very slight variations on the exact same circuit (though to a certain extent I suppose you could say that about a lot of fuzzes).

I agree completely with you there but one of the issues (for me) that set Devi's concept apart is IMO that if you are going to alter a circuit, make it the best you can or make a statement with something different and stick by it.  At points it seem as those every time she changed a component on the breadboard she was like "WOW!  I've made a new pedal.".  To me it was just an indicator of cluelessness on the whole, much like her build quality and business skills.

With regards to her building skills particularly, I do think there is a slight over obsession with innards being neater than the outsides at times (regardless of whether that work or are actually solid) with pedals in general, but the inner chaos of her pedals was taking things to a new level.  You can't even begin to defend it either as the number of faulty units support the fact that these weren't pedals with innards just lacking cosmetic finesse, these were poorly built.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3298

She had a big run in with billy corgan from which neither came out looking good tbh.

I hope shes happy in what shes doing now.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm not going to say anything personal about it... but from all the hype and numerous pedals I have never heard anything remotely useable for me... I just didn't get the hype

Joystick was a nice idea, but just a toy

I hope she hasn't screwed anyone over, but kickstarter is a gamble, you are gifting money.  Take the Oculus rift, people donated millions to that, just for it to be sold to Facebook a month later for $2 billion, which was not liked by the tech world.

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    joeyowen said:
    I'm not going to say anything personal about it... but from all the hype and numerous pedals I have never heard anything remotely useable for me... I just didn't get the hype

J
    Yup........ 
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    JHS will be picking up the models then
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 106
    I've had a few Devi Ever pedals, a 90 and a Hyperion... Both pretty poor builds but sounded awesome! The hyperion is a great fuzz. I do hate the bung it together, wrap it in black tape approach though especially when on her website she used to sell build your own pcbs that as far as I can remember covered both these pedals. She did do some fairly original stuff at times though, and on a personal level I have always found her pleasant to deal with, and very honest regarding her biz, if not too honest. I know this isn't everyone's experience of her, but in fairness she is paying back the people who donated the kickstarter money from her own pocket and by building one offs for them, there's a lot of small and large businesses that wouldn't do that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    ragingben said:
    I've had a few Devi Ever pedals, a 90 and a Hyperion... Both pretty poor builds but sounded awesome! The hyperion is a great fuzz. I do hate the bung it together, wrap it in black tape approach though especially when on her website she used to sell build your own pcbs that as far as I can remember covered both these pedals. She did do some fairly original stuff at times though, and on a personal level I have always found her pleasant to deal with, and very honest regarding her biz, if not too honest. I know this isn't everyone's experience of her, but in fairness she is paying back the people who donated the kickstarter money from her own pocket and by building one offs for them, there's a lot of small and large businesses that wouldn't do that.
    Do you know anyone who has been paid back by her? 

Someone who accepts money and spunks it away producing shit all is not 'too honest'. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom