Could this be a vintage gem?

What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
Trawling eBay for esoteric stuff and I found this. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-vintage-Rosetti-British-tube-valve-amp-1950s-1960s-Elac-amplifier-EL84-/251564272379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a92662afb

I think it looks pretty cool - and maybe it could sound great too - I'm guessing it would be Watkins Westminster sort of territory, maybe?

I don't like the idea of the exposed transformer connections. It looks quite literally lethal. You'd need to knock up your own back panel for it sharpish if you bought it...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Absolutely - it's very dangerous like that. It needs a proper back panel and almost certainly some other remedial work before it's remotely safe. I'd take a guess it has no onboard fusing so it's only protected by the (at best) 3A fuse in the mains plug and is thus a fire risk as well.

It could sound quite good, if you like this sort of amp - it's most likely a quite middy, probably a bit ratty-sounding bluesy amp. It won't be like a Westminster - that's a much chunkier-sounding push-pull amp. It's not 8W either, the most it can be with a single EL84 is about 5… which is a good thing, or the fragile Elac speaker would have gone up in smoke already!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    edited June 2014
    So it might kill you, break down, burn your house down or sound disappointing - quite a catch then!

I don't mind "ratty-sounding bluesy" though. Maybe a harmonica would sound good through it.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    DannyP said:
    You'd need to knock up your own back panel
    Don't like the sound of that... >:D<
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Well it just sold for 105.50GBP