Rival Sons

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
edited June 2014 in Music
I just thought they were awful, sad retro Led Zep wannabes when I first heard them and somehow they have become my most listened to band in recent months. Currently contemplating their December tour but as that would mean me being Billy No Mates at a gig in Wolverhampton on a Tuesday I might have to pass. Anyhoo, let's see if I can fire up a couple of YouTube clips. This one seems to be northern soul meets Norman Greenbaum and shows the Sons have a few tricks.
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    This is of the Led Zeppish variety and yet I do love the energy here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ...and probably my favourite track, although I've never seen this video before so taking a gamble on that...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I've seen them three times but missed them the other week in Bham due to a house move. I'll probably be there anyway Eric.. I'll see if @equalsql wants to go too. I'll keep you posted..

I haven't listened to the new album much due to the Zep reissues being out :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeh, I think I must have missed them a couple of times, but I didn't know I liked them then!
    I like that it's not all flat out blues/rock any more (what first drew me in). There's more 60s influence than before (Them, Yardbirds. Scott Walker etc.) so it's not as fatiguing... I still love Pressure & Time's bombast though.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I listen to them now and again. 

They are a bit derivative, but they make a good noise.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Never heard of them. Watched the 2nd and 3rd videos and ........ I LOVE THEM! Thanks for the introduction. I'd love to play bass in that band! I shall be checking them out a lot more.

Great 3rd video!

On the videos - I kept getting REALLY annoying popups advertising other videos. Bloody irritating if this is a new YouTube plan.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited June 2014
    I like Rival Sons. I think they've got a good thing. I don't like (or agree with) the LZ comparison, sorry. Sometimes they do... but even then not THAT much!  

Think they've been mentioned a few times on here. I've got the the Pressure & Time album, wanna get the album before that (think it's an iTunes-only!) and Head Down and Great Western Valkyrie, but hard to actually find RS CDs in Australia without paying stupid money for them on eBay. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Me and my mate have tickets for the Wolves gig @erictheweary .

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I love Head Down, it's a fantastic album from start to finish. Not quite so keen on the new one.

My dad's a big fan as well, we'll probably be at the London date of the tour.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Me and my mate have tickets for the Wolves gig @erictheweary .

ooh. I'll have another look at the tickets and may be in touch then @mudslide73 . :)