Can you have flame mahogany?

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
The spec for my guitar (The Loar LH-200 acoustic) says the neck is mahogany. However, it's almost as flamey as the maple neck on my Tele:

The grain pattern at the headstock end (left) does look like mahogany necks I've seen, but it's very flamey closer to the body. It's Chinese, so it might not be strictly mahogany.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Yes.  That type of figure is not limited to Maple.  

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Yes. I had a flamed Mahogany neck on a Tele style guitar I built.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• martmart Frets: 5205
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5012
    I've got a mahogany chest of drawers with some flame in it!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    When my parents were downsizing their house about ten years ago, they sold off a lot of their semi-antique furniture. One of the pieces was an absolutely hideous - but huge - Victorian mahogany dining table. My mother asked if I would like it rather than going to auction, and after a few seconds to size it up, I said "yes - I reckon you could easily get about a dozen guitars out of that…"

Needless to say I was not given the table :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    Wisdoms awarded to everybody who contributed to me learning something new today!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Nothing to add other than the flamey-ness (I know) of the Loars is legit wood as opposed to photo flamed. I've had a fair few of their guitars and they've all had really nice woods for the body. Pony bridges on anything under the 700 series ("ebonised" wood = painted shit) but that's an easy swap and makes jack all difference anyway.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    ICBM said:
    When my parents were downsizing their house about ten years ago, they sold off a lot of their semi-antique furniture. One of the pieces was an absolutely hideous - but huge - Victorian mahogany dining table. My mother asked if I would like it rather than going to auction, and after a few seconds to size it up, I said "yes - I reckon you could easily get about a dozen guitars out of that…"

Needless to say I was not given the table :).
    Damn shame..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    JDE said:
    Nothing to add other than the flamey-ness (I know) of the Loars is legit wood as opposed to photo flamed. I've had a fair few of their guitars and they've all had really nice woods for the body. Pony bridges on anything under the 700 series ("ebonised" wood = painted shit) but that's an easy swap and makes jack all difference anyway.
    The bridge on mine is supposed to be rosewood but it's much darker than the fingerboard so I guess it's painted. No black stuff coming off on my fingers though.

There's some really nice grain on the back and especially the sides (which are laminated) as well. The top is nothing special, but it's a £200 guitar!