Wampler ACE30/30-something - any good?

CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
The title is fairly descriptive of the question here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I love it. And I am no Wampler fanboy. I've been convinced to buy half a dozen of his and sold the lot within a few days, occasionally weeks.

The Ace genuinely gives my 6v6 American-sounding amps a full-on Vox flavour. I had been using a Tech 21 Liverpool, which I still rate. The Ace is much closer to a clean AC30 tone, while the Liverpool is a decent driven AC emulation (its drive sound is not necessarily closer to the real thing than the Ace's but it's certainly a bit easier on the ear and way more tweakable.)

The Ace's AC15 setting overdrives almost from the start of the sweep and since I don't think the drive tone is its strong suit I'm basically on the AC30 side set clean and, at that, I've never heard anything even approaching it. 

I tried the Carl Martin AC Tone a few months back too. Just a box of filth, nothing like an AC. 

For reference, I've had two actual ACs - a 30 and a 15. Can't imagine a pedal getting much closer than the Ace does

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Ok. sounds good.  I was hoping for it to be accurate both clean and drive, but I suppose that's too much to hope for in a stompbox format.

I did think the cleans sounded superb in the Australian bloke's video, and HR have given me, only me, a special discount, but I think I'll hold out for a s/h version.  Bound to come up sooner or later.

Thanks for the heads up.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I bought mine here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-WAMPLER-PEDALS-ACE-THIRTY-OVERDRIVE-PEDAL-IN-STOCK-w-CABLE-0-US-S-H-/131208548194?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e8ca38f62 Way cheaper than the UK price and wasn't charged a bean in duty. You might think better of the drive sound than i do. Plus, i've only played it at home volume, which ain't a fair test if i'm honest

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Mine has sounded great at home, and live.... It does those shimmering Voxy cleans very well imho.