Saw for Cutting Fret Slots

What's Hot
Hi folks, I'm after advice on a suitable saw for cutting fret slots, or what to look for in one.

I've just started a build with my son and am happily gathering tools. Bought a band saw yesterday on Gumtree and rough cut the body in about 10 mins today; routing next!

Probably getting ahead of myself, but I will need a saw for the neck so any advice/suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks
Simon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited September 2013
    The Hosco Japanese ones are really easy to use, and have that whole samurai meets Sweeney Todd thing going on too, which is always cool..

This or that

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    Or buy a pre-slotted board. There's no shame in it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • True, but we're determined to do as much as we can ourselves. Will probably end in tears though
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I use the Stew Mac Japanese Fret Saw- it cuts on the pull and therefore more controllable than those that cut on the push.
    Preslotted boards can be good but slotting a board is one of the more fun things for me & it allows a degree of flexibility with scale length.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Fretting/Japanese_Fret_Saw.html

• SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    I'm certainly not saying people shouldn't slot their own fretboards (I do), but I think there can be a hair-shirt approach to this sort of thing sometimes. :)

Before I went CNC for fretboards I used the Stewmac saw and mitre box on Sporkaster 1, and all turned out fine.

No 2231 here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Fretting/Fret_Slotting_Jig.html?actn=100101&xst=1&xsr=5756
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Thanks guys. This is a bonding opportunity with my 16 year old son so time is not an issue. Lets hope it leads to success rather than disappointment in his old dad!
    Just go slowly.
    May I suggest you use practice pieces- before slotting the fretboard use an off-cut of the same material you are slotting and get a feel for it.
  • Good advice. I'm actually making another guitar alongside as a practice piece so that I can experiment with techniques before applying them for real. I've learnt loads and made a few mistakes safely without affecting the main build. Unlikely that this practice guitar will ever be finished so some modest cost in materials but invaluable in terms of experience.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16636
    even if you buy a preslotted board you never know when you might need to deepen the slots, adjust it in some way or trim it down to size 

buy a saw.   the same saw can be used for many other sawing tasks
    dean2371 said:
    Good advice. I'm actually making another guitar alongside as a practice piece so that I can experiment with techniques before applying them for real. I've learnt loads and made a few mistakes safely without affecting the main build. Unlikely that this practice guitar will ever be finished so some modest cost in materials but invaluable in terms of experience.
    You may surprise yourself- it isn't that hard, although it is made tougher by not having anyone there with you to double check stuff.
    This is why I went to university to learn lutherie- I know I could eventually learn the skills by myself, but everything is made tougher the first time because you have no-one there to check with.
    It isn't necessarily the staff (although they are great) - a lot of time time I am checking with (and being asked by) other students.
  • Thanks for the advice folks. Enjoyed a pleasant cup of coffee with JookyChap earlier this evening, thanks again for all the help/encouragement/tools/wood etc Mark. Let me know when the sofas arrive!

Simon