One and a half step bends on the top E string on a Strat

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
I'm working on a guitar part for a piece I'm writing and there's a section that really calls for a couple of 1 1/2 step bends, e.g. from a high F# to A on the top E string.

I'm struggling to play this on my Strat with 10s. I don't even know if it is possible to perform this bend without snapping the string. Any tips? Should I just play it on a Les Paul with 9s instead?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Just given it a go with my Strat with 10s and it seems OK. 

Not sure I could drop it into a very quick riff as it requires a couple of fingers for reinforcement behind the first. 

No way are you going to snap the strings.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Thanks, can't seem to quite hit the note - must practice more!
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    Presume you are bending with the third? Are you making sure you have the 1st and 2nd finger on the string as well to get extra leverage?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Just to ask the stupid question - you mean at the 14th rather than 2nd fret?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Yes, bending 14th fret up to the 17th, or 12th up to the 15th.

I have no problems doing 1 1/2 and 2 step bends on the B and G string, I just find bending the top E really difficult, the tension seems much higher.
  • This may sound a little weird, but Ive found having heavier gauge strings on the Low E, A and D seems to help with the balance of tension and percieved feel of the top 3 treble strings. On a Strat 10-52 gauges work really well and may help with those huge rock bends, obviously working on the technique helps as well!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Are you using a floating bridge?

If so using your picking hand to stop it coming forward, and flattening the strings helps loads especially with wide bends.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:

Are you using a floating bridge?

If so using your picking hand to stop it coming forward, and flattening the strings helps loads especially with wide bends.

Ah, yes, I am using a floating bridge. Thanks, I'll give this a try.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    Use the trem for the extra 1/2 bend, lots of girls who use strats do it that way, ;)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mellowsun;280037" said:
    mike_l said:

Are you using a floating bridge?If so using your picking hand to stop it coming forward, and flattening the strings helps loads especially with wide bends.

Ah, yes, I am using a floating bridge. Thanks, I'll give this a try.
    Try playing something Gilmourish with and without using your picking hand to steady the trem. There's a world of difference.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Try a cheeky slide to the 15th fret and straight into a bend. Bit of practice and you won't notice much difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkydazclarkydaz Frets: 45
    it might depend on the type of neck your strat has? curved boards are well known for resisting big bends, flatter radius boards (like your les paul) are easier to string bend 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited July 2014
    /\ yep - some guitars are not as malleable as others and is not always the strings... so a workround of a slide-up is the answer and often a more natural playing style  -and - of course more guaranteed to reach pitch!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>