Best delay in front of an amp

What's Hot
MattGMattG Frets: 170
I've just put down a deposit on a new amp and was wondering what are the best delay pedals to put in front of an amp as this one has no FX loop?
I like analogue slap back type delays like the caroline and subdecay units, not that i own either :(
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Check out Catalinbread's delays - three different flavours. I've got the Belle Epoch, which is their take on the Echoplex-tape-echo-in-a-box. Sounds great in front of an amp, throw distortion pedals and boosters at it, it just gets better.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    cheers, i've always heard good things about those so i'll give them a look :)
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited June 2014
    If you're feeling lavish, pedalboard space isn't an issue and you don't mind it having its own power supply, the Deluxe Memory Man sounds incredible for slapback, and is also excellent for swampy sounding Pink Floyd type stuff, especially once you start mixing in the chorus/vibrato. 

Max delay time is 0.6 seconds - to be honest, I've very rarely found this to be a problem, but that's perhaps a reflection on the type of stuff I like to play :)   

Considerably cheaper and smaller, the MXR Carbon Copy also impressed me. 

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    The Belle Epoch, needless to say, is in its element doing 50s slapback.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I recently purchased an Aqua Puss. 

That's really good at slapback type stuff. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Carbon copy
    i've always wanted to try an aqua puss but have never got round to it same with the carbon copy...
    the store i'm getting my amp from stock all of these so i shall give them all a try when i pick it up and make my final payment :)
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Carbon Copy!

But also note that you can't go wrong with any of the TC Flashback pedals.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Catalinbread Montavillian and Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay are both good choices.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    MattG said:
    i've always wanted to try an aqua puss but have never got round to it same with the carbon copy...
    the store i'm getting my amp from stock all of these so i shall give them all a try when i pick it up and make my final payment :)
    The Carbon Copy and Aqua Puss were both designed by George Tripps so they probably aren't radically different.

The Aqua Puss is brighter and has a shorter Delay time. The Carbon Copy also has Modulation. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    alter ego or DL4 for me. 

The alter ego is a great pedal and wont consume a pedal board either. 

I think they are £90 or so new as well. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I've used a Carbon Copy in front of a moderately dirty amp for a long time and it never gives me any problems. The sometimes over-bearing warmth of the repeats means you don't get any harsh distorted qualities that you might typically get from a driven amp. I love the sound of the Carbon Copy, the only thing that domes reasonably close is the Timeline but even that doesn't nail it. Jack
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    I love the sound of my El Capistan, even more fun if you use two amps :-)

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I have the Caroline Kilobyte and it gives so many options, plus the havoc can be good for experimenting! I'd also consider checking out the Fairfield Circuitry Maude and the Infanem Small Echo Array if you can find one over here in the UK. Enjoy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Boss DD-2/3 - still the best combination of digital clarity and analogue warmth there is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Carbon Copy for me.

Cheap, readily available and had decent delay times.

Repeats sound quite 'dirty' even into a clean amp - a little on the 'gritty' side of 'warm' - but a cool sounding pedal.

If you want something purer but not 'clinical', the analogue model on the Boss DD7 is very musical sounding.
    the carbon copy definitely sounds more my sort of thing to the digital delay!
    i didnt know that about the aqua puss and carbon copy very interesting
    the caroline and belle epoch both look like good contenders though, i wish i had the money for the strymon but alas tis not to be
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    @richardhomer: funny you should mention the DD-7, I just picked up one that looks brand new for just £70 quid this afternoon :-)
    update, i have bought blind and gone for the aqua puss....
    thank you @monquixote
  • Great shout!