Scratchy sound coming from Wah?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3621
I am not an fx bloke generally  but I have recently tried out an old Jim Dunlop wah that has been in the shed for about 15 years.

It works but when you are pedalling up and down you get a scratchy sound which sounds horrible.

Any ideas on a quick fix?

Is it the pot? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Get some electronic contact cleaning spray and use it on the pot… should be a notch on it to allow this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    Don't waste contact cleaner - replace the pot.

I used to try cleaning them, but it really is just a waste of cleaner - it never really works.

The best pot for a Dunlop is the (unfortunately expensive) Hot Potz II, which at least is sealed and should last a lot longer than most.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Clean it first with contact cleaner then use some electronic spray vaseline.
    works superbly.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    It might be worth trying contact cleaner first.? It depends on you mind the expense of the small gamble.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Thanks gents.

I'll give the old contact cleaner a go but if it comes to pot replacement I'll probably forget it as I can't solder and the cost would probably be prohibitive seeing as I would probably only use it as a novelty. 
    Don't forget the spray vaseline ?
    Where are you based ?
    it only needs a slight spray so prob not worth buying a full can as it's quite expensive.
    Maybe you could either send me the pedal to clean and return or I'll send you my spray and you return it when
    done ?
    Just an idea.
    wolf5150 said:
    Don't forget the spray vaseline ?
    Where are you based ?
    it only needs a slight spray so prob not worth buying a full can as it's quite expensive.
    Maybe you could either send me the pedal to clean and return or I'll send you my spray and you return it when
    done ?
    Just an idea.
    What a kind offer @wolf150. ;

I am in Surrey but I'd love to send the pedal to you to have a go at.

I'll message you separately if you don't mind.

Thanks again. 
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    DULLFACT: WD40 now make contact cleaner, they sell it in Halfords.

DO NOT USE REGULAR WD40 THOUGH.
    benecol said:
    DO NOT USE REGULAR WD40 THOUGH.
    I see this repeated endlessly (not always in capitals ;) ), but I've never had any problem using it, ever. I don't use it all the time, just on stubborn pots which contact cleaner alone won't permanently fix. And it works. (Except on wah pedal pots.)

If WD40 is bad, you should probably keep well clear of the Vaseline which can only be worse for "attracting dust" or whatever it is that the WD40 is supposed to do (but doesn't). I haven't tried the Vaseline.

The real problem with wah pedal pots is not dirt, it's wear. Once the track has started to wear through no amount of cleaning will work, which why I don't bother. I did take apart a couple to find out why cleaning them had failed, and found worn patches through the track… hence the advice, it's not just "change it" mentality (which I don't subscribe to normally).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    JUST DON'T DO IT, OK?

(really you should listen to @ICBM - I am merely passing on received wisdom, whereas he can actually do stuff)

While I'm at it with the moneysaving tips, WD40 also doesn't make a useful replacement for windscreen deicer, as my psychedelic view of the winter of 1997 will attest...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    lol

I have heard dire warnings about WD40 a lot - everything from it attacking plastics in the pot, to leaving a sticking build-up which attracts dust - but that hasn't been my experience! I wouldn't use it as a first choice contact cleaner, but it seems to work well when the alternative is to replace the pot because contact cleaner hasn't fixed it… and it's much less prone to washing out the grease from the bushing and leaving the pot feeling 'dry' than overdoing the contact cleaner repeatedly in an attempt to make it work. I still prefer *not* to change pots if at all possible, if they can really be made to work properly.

I did give up cleaning wah pots after trying many times with different cleaning materials though, and although the expense is trivial I do really regard it as just a waste of cleaner! But maybe I should give the Vaseline a go...

Electronic Spray Vaseline is specifically designed for the very purpose our friend needs.
    It was recommended to me by Dirk Wacker of singlecoil.com

He really knows his stuff.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    If it's not the pot, it could be some caps leaking DC (cap swap job). Had that before on older wahs.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited July 2014
    if it's an older Wah can't you sneak in a LED/LDR?

for the full article:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm#problems
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    Thanks Frank, very interesting article. I'm afraid the electronic stuff is beyond me. 

I've got some contact cleaner and am going to get some spray vaseline and give it a go.

I'll report back when I've done it.  
    fingers crossed. :)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I tried replacing a scratchy vol pot in a volume treadle. Soldering wasn't the problem. Securing the pot on its mounting so that it didn't try to swivel with the shaft was a nightmare. In the end I replaced the whole pedal.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited July 2014
    Just to report back.

I gave the pot a good blasting with switch cleaner followed by a squirt of liquid vaseline recommended by @wolf5150.

Outcome is it is working fine now, no noise at all (apart from the wah obviously).

I'm not usually an FX bloke but the advice I got on here helped bring a wah that had been in a shed for fifteen years back to life.

Thanks all. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You're welcome.
    Enjoy.
    \o/ :D