Glasto backlines diminish

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
edited June 2014 in Amps
I know Metalurgica said they were ditching amps in favour of modelling, but seems others have too...  Was a severe lack of backline to spot this year...and is why so many drummers were boxed-up out of harms way!
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Plexiglass ftw!

Not against modelling at all & quite like the AxeFX but ffs at a huge festival like Glasto & not one amp in sight :(

I read someone on lifeinvader/ bookface saying Dolly double d's was miming too- will try my best not to check that out later..

Seemed like a good idea.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1626

Dunno but I am grabbing as much as I can onto HDD.

I did notice one Blackstar (A30 I think) in a set today.

Dave

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    I thought the Metallica stage looked painfully empty...vast area with 4 old rockers occasionally trudging around a bit. Not much to see...not much to listen to either ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Blondie had a lonestar and slo head plus 2, soldano 212s all in a rather plush looking gold tolex.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    ...was loads of wiggy-women too this year...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Given the swift turn-round times between bands, I suppose not having to mike-up back-lines makes sense.

I don't know how much individual control bands have (in other words, to what extent 'their' people do their sound) but eliminating as many variables as possible makes sense.

I have to say the sound on the few bits I've watched has even pretty poor.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    At a festival of glastonburys size, the gear is mic'ed up on rolling sub stages so it's just wheeled on and off, the crews are huge too so change overs are swift and line checks are pretty much happening as soon as the previous artist is off stage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    A stage the size of that would be when you could let rip with an amp setup of trouser-flapping proportions. I bet a lot of us would relish such an opportunity and not say "no thanks, I'll just plug in my Pod".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Just sat through Metallica full set at Glasto , not a fan tbh , but that was horrendous, I'm sure I heard Phil Lynott spin in his grave somewhere
  • citizen68;280104" said:
    Plexiglass ftw!

Not against modelling at all & quite like the AxeFX but ffs at a huge festival like Glasto & not one amp in sight :(

I read someone on lifeinvader/ bookface saying Dolly double d's was miming too- will try my best not to check that out later..

Yes she was miming. Sambora rocked up again as he did at her O2 show a few nights back.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Couple of very large Hiwatts for Robert Plan's guitarist. Nice to see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I've seen a few Fender combos but Blackstars seem to be out in force for what amps are there. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Couple of very large Hiwatts for Robert Plan's guitarist. Nice to see.
    I thought too. Good player too. 
    Tasty selection of guitars between Mr Plant's two guitarists too - highlight of the wk end for me

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    I wasn't so fussed on that tartan waistcoat the hammster was modelling...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    citizen68;280104" said:
    Plexiglass ftw!

In fairness I'm not sure you could tell whether she was miming or not with the plastic in her face. I didn't think she was as there were a few duff notes here and there as you might expect when live, surely you'd use a better pre recording than that if you were?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    citizen68;280104" said:
    Plexiglass ftw!

Yes she was miming. Sambora rocked up again as he did at her O2 show a few nights back.
    Opinion is divided on the miming or not.

even Stephen Fry is getting in the argument - he's convinced the broadcast sync was out, especially if watching in HD.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Dolly Parton has been miming for 10+ years and had openly admitted it. 

edited June 2014
    citizen68;280104" said:
    Plexiglass ftw!

Opinion is divided on the miming or not.

even Stephen Fry is getting in the argument - he's convinced the broadcast sync was out, especially if watching in HD.

Fair point I guess... I've had bother trying to sync the DTS or Dolby digital sound on some high profile music DVDs with the video track - the jury's out on Dolly :-?

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2014
    I thought metallica sounded alright save lars' drumming. I keep seeing people gun the performance but they just sounded...like Metallica to me, which I can only handle in small doses anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom