Glasto backlines diminish

What's Hot

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3322
    citizen68 said:
    Tasty selection of guitars between Mr Plant's two guitarists too - highlight of the wk end for me

Thats Skin from CAST. Ive stood beside that amp cranked, and its easily the best amp Ive ever heard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Did anyone however see Joe Perry's rig in hyde park this weekend?

WOW !

This is just a random google image of his rig (not the london one) but it was still bonkers

If anyone at Glasto was missing a backline it's because Perry has nicked it !
    7reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubble said:
    Did anyone however see Joe Perry's rig in hyde park this weekend?

WOW !

This is just a random google image of his rig (not the london one) but it was still bonkers

If anyone at Glasto was missing a backline it's because Perry has nicked it !

That's just a simplified version of my restaurant rig. No biggie. ;-)
    Subscribe why don't ya!
    www.youtube.com/user/TheToneshack
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Tone-Shack/342112489166403?ref=hl
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Caught a bit of Kasabian last night, couldn't tell what Sergio was using (although his Ric 481 is tasty), and Tim was using a pair of Bluesbreakers, although the maestro on his SG was letting him down a bit tuning wise.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3322
    Serg wasnt even plugged in at one point. Spinal tap 2014 edition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I thought Plant was incredible, and great to see a 1st year Les Paul being played on a Festival stage!!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I'm yet to try the AxeFx. Must check one out soon as I'm getting lazy in my old age. I did gig with a Pod XT live for a few years. Sounded great and actually prefer that to the newer ones. Had something about it. For festivals I think back line will get more and more scarce until the industry sorts itself out and artists can actually make money again. A buddy of mine is out with Lily Allen using Lonestars and he's looking at the Kemper because of shipping costs etc. The budget just isn't there to haul loads of gear around anymore.
    Subscribe why don't ya!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I used a POD XT Live straight into the PA for a long while myself. Sounded great i thought :)

Is this year's Glastonbury the first year of a real change for live bands and their backline?
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    gubble said:
    I used a POD XT Live straight into the PA for a long while myself. Sounded great i thought :)

Is this year's Glastonbury the first year of a real change for live bands and their backline?
    More than likely. For the last year I think the modelling thing for tours has really started to hit home. Everything smaller, lighter, easier to use and cheaper to move around makes the management very happy. Yes you can hire stuff around the world but even that is becoming more difficult. Festival wise it must be a dream to have the vast majority of bands rock up with essentially the same gear. Less time sorting out the sound, more time for more bands. It will come full circle though. At some point someone will make a stand and everyone will realise that bigger is better. Hopefully that won't be my wife.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader

Around 18:40 is the start of the description of his backline....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm yet to try the AxeFx. Must check one out soon as I'm getting lazy in my old age. I did gig with a Pod XT live for a few years. Sounded great and actually prefer that to the newer ones. Had something about it. For festivals I think back line will get more and more scarce until the industry sorts itself out and artists can actually make money again. A buddy of mine is out with Lily Allen using Lonestars and he's looking at the Kemper because of shipping costs etc. The budget just isn't there to haul loads of gear around anymore.
    Is that Martin? 
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Oddly all the ladies seemed to be using real cabs at least, Cate le Bon, Courtney Barnett, Warpaint. Not Marshall walls, but Warpaint had a reasonable amount of kit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    To be honest I don't know why bands bother. The sound on stage at these things is usually iffy enough that it makes a fussy choice of gear a bit pointless. All you really need is an amp and/or cab to make things louder, and slave whatever portable rig you want to take into it. The sound out front is always different anyway.

That's what I've done at a big show where taking my own gear is too much of a faff. Or maybe I just haven't played a high enough class of festival :).

I'd love to use my two Trem-o-verbs on stage at a big outdoor festival before I stop playing altogether, but realistically I probably never will now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Deijavoo said:
    I'm yet to try the AxeFx. Must check one out soon as I'm getting lazy in my old age. I did gig with a Pod XT live for a few years. Sounded great and actually prefer that to the newer ones. Had something about it. For festivals I think back line will get more and more scarce until the industry sorts itself out and artists can actually make money again. A buddy of mine is out with Lily Allen using Lonestars and he's looking at the Kemper because of shipping costs etc. The budget just isn't there to haul loads of gear around anymore.
    Is that Martin? 

Mr. Waugh indeed. Top bloke and an astonishing player.
    Subscribe why don't ya!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402

The thing is with IEM's you have your perfect mix in your ears (normally a lot of you and a bit of everything else :)  ), you don't need a big amp to hear it. Small decent amp mic'ed up is fine. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    To be honest I don't know why bands bother. The sound on stage at these things is usually iffy enough that it makes a fussy choice of gear a bit pointless. All you really need is an amp and/or cab to make things louder, and slave whatever portable rig you want to take into it. The sound out front is always different anyway.

That's what I've done at a big show where taking my own gear is too much of a faff. Or maybe I just haven't played a high enough class of festival :).

I'd love to use my two Trem-o-verbs on stage at a big outdoor festival before I stop playing altogether, but realistically I probably never will now.

I would disagree here. I work for a band that played the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury this weekend and we had all our own backline as we have for every festival we've done this year. The amps used are all part of the bands sound (along with copious amounts of pedals!) and we also have our own monitor guy and desk with all band and crew on IEM's so the sound on a stage as large as that can be similar in feel to a smaller club gig. I would totally agree that at a smaller festival (like something I would do with my own, 'less popular' band! ;-)) where one is relying on the house monitor guy who has never heard of you or is 47 hours in to a 48 hour shift, the onstage sound can be a nightmare! In this situation, I would have my amp of choice turned up loud enough so I could hear it and not have to worry about it in the monitors...and ignore the FOH guy telling me to turn it down :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    +1 to miserneil, the sound on stage at this level of gig is far from iffy. The guys doing it are top notch. And you can think twice about cranking 2 loud amps on one also as I've played amps louder in pubs than in some arenas. You have to go with the overall stage volume and monitor setup you're given.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Deijavoo said:
    Is that Martin? 

Mr. Waugh indeed. Top bloke and an astonishing player.
    Aha, mate of mine built a guitar for him a wee while ago. Reckoned he is a good guy.  Nice work he gets himself. 
  • That'll be the Williams Lil 58? Gorgeous guitar. I keep threatening to get myself an Evo. Yeah the work is not too bad at all. You should check him out if you haven't already. One of the most musical players I have ever come across. I've learnt so much from his playing.
    Subscribe why don't ya!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Makes a change from all those thin fake marshall cabs masking a little combo mic'd up round the back. With a small setup you can pick it up and fly it around the world to your next gig and have consistent sound. reminds me of the 70s and 80s when the BIG bands had two complete rigs on tour that would leapfrog one another to have enough setup time for each show. Not that I don't love me a real amp.