Have you ever...

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
edited June 2014 in Making Music
...listened to some of your own music and thought, "Damn, I'm awesome!"?

I just have. Being far too British, I feel pretty guilty about it too.

Then again...people have always told me, "If you're going to write music, make sure you do it for a reason: make sure it's the music that you always wanted to listen to". My band have apparently done just that. To quote a certain tramp-looking fast-fingered dude, this pleases me.

As you were.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    Linkies plz.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    viz said:
    Linkies plz.
    No can do...it's the rough mix of the album, and I got in trouble with the rest of the band for posting stuff before. You're just gonna have to trust me ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yes, but not in a long time :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have to admit that sometimes I have improvised something, played it back and thought Wow! were did that come from! It's not that it was amazing in the real sense, but it was way above the dreadful dross I normally come out with. I did one once and happened to record it, and it was so good (for me!) that I went back and relearnt it note for note and stuck a Youtube video up. At least two people liked it so that was a major hit for me!

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

Although people get embarrassed by this concept I think it's a good thing to learn to get used to.  If you are recording something or writing it you should believe in it so naturally if done well you should enjoy it. 

I've always had admiration for people like Jimmy Page, Neil Young or Jack White for example, who can listen to something they have done and hone in on the good parts rather that the faults, or at least accept the fault as part of the whole 'vibe'.  I believe that ability is part of the reason why they were successful rather than endlessly spending their time in the studio trying to get everything just right.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    Yeah I record our tunes at rehearsals on my phone occasionally and listen back to them and like what I hear (I tend to hear my mistakes clearly though). We're recording 4 of them for an EP and enjoying listening back to what we've got so far. I don't think I'd do it if I didn't like the songs.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1