Busking with a portable Genny??

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
Anyone tried a bit of busking with a portable Genny to run their amp and PA??

Aldi jobbie this week....

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Any noise spec? It would be a bit pointless if it was louder than the amp :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    good luck mixing the oil with the petrol such that you don't end up smoking the place out one minute and seizing it for not enough oil the next. Come to think of it, good luck finding the oil. It's yonks since I last tried buying 2 stroke engine oil
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Aldo had small wooden trolleys this week for £12.99 with 3 inch castors, rated to 200kg. Not sure I believe 200 but it seemed ok with me and a guitar stood on it which is roughly half of that. I'm going to use it to decouple my 2x12 when I try using it vertically tomorrow (it is a horizontal 2x12). It'll also come in handy if I ever pick up an Orange/Zilla cab with no castors
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Interesting. Just remember 230V is 230V whether it comes out of the wall or a genny.

Singing in the rain is one thing....... Dying?

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    I would suggest a car battery and an inverter, really - probably cheaper, definitely quieter and possibly no heavier.

Still with the same warning as Dave gave about safety though - just because it's powered by a car battery doesn't mean that the output isn't mains voltage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I know someone who uses a Roland Street Cube, looks like the idea bit of kit for street performers.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited July 2014
    I saw Red Jackson doing it in Guldford a while back. Guy uses a Honda Genny and ran a Hot Rod Deluxe and PA off of it. In clip below you can see  - and hear- the red Honda Genny in action - is RED and right in front!!

oh and @Phil_aka_Pip - Wilkinsons sell 2 stroke oil...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    edited July 2014
    No.

Those cheap chinese engines have poor tolerances  and whilst they start first pull a few times they rapidly become a bitch to start cold and need a wiff of carb cleaner to fire up (don't ask how I know). Once they are warm the expanded metals are fine but they are not in the reliable category of a Honda. they are cheap for a reason. Noisy too.

Much better to get a used 'suitcase' type genny off ebay or the local car boot just like the one in the vid above.

Edit,

Your basic amp etc will be happy with a genny like this but some digital units can be fussy about the unregulated power supply, if so you need to consider a conditioner or ditch the digital harmonizer and echo for an analogue reverb.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    Nah, what you need is a nice, slow reving diesel.....

(Apologies to those that have seen it before)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I saw one of those jump starter/wheel inflater boxes in Maplins that had a 220 volt mains 13 amp socket outlet.  Also it had an outlet for charging your mobile phone and a standard cigarette lighter socket.  One of these might work with a small amp.  Did not try it myself but it just might do the trick.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Misterg said:
    Nah, what you need is a nice, slow reving diesel.....

(Apologies to those that have seen it before)
    Tractor keeps better time than our first drummer did!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    Oh - this should be crossed ref'd with the Great Street Guitarists thread too... Red Genny content though for here...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>