What pedals are normally okay to be daisy chained together?

RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
In your experience, are there any pedals that don't mind daisy chained together and what needs it's own isolated supply? 

(I know digital pedals needs its own socket) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Most decent modern pedals are fine, including digitals. Generally you only *need* isolated supplies for ones with odd voltage or polarity requirements - but it's still better in general.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I thought digital pedals are a no-no when it comes to daisy chains?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4685

I think it's DSP chips more than just digital.  Probably okay with a basic digital delay with a pt2399 but anything with full on micro processors are more fussy.  Sometimes Tap tempo's seem to cause noise as well for some reason.
  • RaymondLin;282682" said:
    I have daisy chained some digital pedals, including a basic digital delay (visual sound garage tone, brilliant sounding thing, can't believe I let it go...) and it was fine.

I have isolated power now, for no reason other than it was cheap (hHarley Benton Powerplant Jr) and I notice no difference in noise to before (a compressor, tuner, wah, drive, distortion, fuzz, phaser and digital chorus).
    edited July 2014
    RaymondLin;282682" said:
    I have daisy chained some digital pedals, including a basic digital delay (visual sound garage tone, brilliant sounding thing, can't believe I let it go...) and it was fine.

I have isolated power now, for no reason other than it was cheap (hHarley Benton Powerplant Jr) and I notice no difference in noise to before (a compressor, tuner, wah, drive, distortion, fuzz, phaser and digital chorus).

You chained 8 pedals in 1 socket? :o
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2014
    Everything here runs from a Diago Powerstation (unisolated daisy chain PSU)

Same on this board, apart from the Strymon Big Sky that runs from it's own PSU (that one was noisy when daisy chained). Before I have the Big Sky I had a TC Electronics Trinity Reverb and that was fine with the whole board off one daisy chain.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/not_the_dj/big_zpse89d60d5.jpg
  • RaymondLin;28m2699" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

RaymondLin;282682" said:I thought digital pedals are a no-no when it comes to daisy chains?

You chained 8 pedals in 1 socket? :o
    Yup. Delay and envelope filter needed dedicated supplies. There was no noise.

Some pedals won't play ball, I'm sure, but I've not had any issues. I'm not unfussy when it comes to noise, either, I use quite a bit of gain for some serious crunch.

There is some Internet wisdom that's a bit... Not true.

All the above ran from a single one spot psu. I ditched it for a proper supply and keep that as a backup, just because I now don't need to worry if I do get a fussy pedal - I just stick it in a different socket.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I used to run a pile of pedals daisy-chained off a single supply (it could put out 2A, so there was plenty of capacity). The only pedal that caused problems was a Strymon Flint.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I had problems with a Planet Waves Tuner on a non-isolated supply so it's not just Strymons etc.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

There's a fair few EHX pedals that don't play well with others (some because of their 'positive ground' wiring, apparently - others just because they're weird); I had to let go of a Bass Metaphors and a Small Clone because they just wouldn't work on my board without humming.

The Double Muff I had issues with as well, but apparently that's a buffering issue rather than a power one.

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    You wont know untill you try. There are no hard and fast rules. Some pedals just don't like each other regardless of being daisy or isolated.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
    I find my digital pedals don't like it on a daisy chain, the Boss RC2 loop station is particularly nasty. With an isolated or it's own supply it's fine.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Best to stick to drive pedals in my experience, then anolog trems, phasers etc are usually ok. Some digital delays seem ok but my diamond memory lane jr for example demands it's own supply else it pulses white noise when off, I've had some issues with tuners too.

Anyway, all my pedals are sent clean isolated power these days, largely because I have pedalboard OCD 
    :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17582
    tFB Trader
    In my experience analog pedals can co-exist happily, but some digital pedals (Zoom G3, Strymon Flint) need their own power supplies or they bleed noise into the analog pedals they are chained to. 

You can get a Diago adapter that filters the noise out, or just run two power supplies, one for analog and one for digital.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Cioks DC10 will run most large boards with no noise
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    In my experience analog pedals can co-exist happily, but some digital pedals (Zoom G3, Strymon Flint) need their own power supplies or they bleed noise into the analog pedals they are chained to.
    Yes, the G3/B3 is a bad one. At band practice the other week I forgot my B3's power supply, so had the bright idea to run it from one of the spare outlets on my guitarist's pedalboard, since we were quite close together… but it caused horrendous noise on his set-up. (Although mine was fine :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Despite the collective wisdom of the internet saying it won't play nice, I've been running my Line 6 Verbzilla on a daisy chain (with a tuner, two drives and analogue delay) for ages, issue free. The only pedal that gives me grief and has to live on a seperate supply is my EHX Deluxe Memory boy, it dishes out all kinds of noise when chained. Will grab one of those Harley Benton isolated supplies eventually but can live with using two plugs for now!
    capo4th said:
    Cioks DC10 will run most large boards with no noise
    That's basically what I have, I said basically because I got the pink one for kicks lol

mike257 said:
    Despite the collective wisdom of the internet saying it won't play nice, I've been running my Line 6 Verbzilla on a daisy chain (with a tuner, two drives and analogue delay) for ages, issue free. The only pedal that gives me grief and has to live on a seperate supply is my EHX Deluxe Memory boy, it dishes out all kinds of noise when chained. Will grab one of those Harley Benton isolated supplies eventually but can live with using two plugs for now!
    I think I won't know until I've plugged them all in when the board is done.