Would this work as an emergency back up rig...

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited July 2014
    ISP Stealth?  http://www.thomann.de/gb/isp_technologies_stealth_power_amp_pedal.htm

ISP Technologies Stealth Power-Amp , stereo: 2 x 75W RMS @ 4 ohms, 2 x 60W @ 8 ohms, mono bypass: 140W @ 8 ohm or 80W RMS @ 16 ohms, smallest lightest high power amplifier for the guitarist available 22,86cm X 10,16cm X 5,08cm and 0,54 kg weight, external 19VCD switch-mode power supply included for operation from 100VAC to 240VAC, class A/B amplifier circuit for analog saturation and clipping sonic performance, internal protection for shorts and open circuit, time delay operation for POP free turn on / turn off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    Looks to be a fair bit bigger than a 44 Magnum but I'd still call that tiny for an amp.  Not much over half a kilo either according to the Thomann specs so very light weight.

• guitarfishbay;282646" said:
    Looks to be a fair bit bigger than a 44 Magnum but I'd still call that tiny for an amp.  Not much over half a kilo either according to the Thomann specs so very light weight.
    Sadly not many reviews online, but I was considering this and an amt p2 briefly.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Good call on the Stealth thingy. Looks just the ticket. Bit more than I'd pay for a backup but otherwise pretty decent.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Blimey, £300, to much for me for a back-up.

Maybe small/powerful/affordable/reliable is Moon on a Stick territory.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    Another idea could be to get a 50 watt or so SS Amp from ebay and convert it to a mini head?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited July 2014
    I have an ancient Peavey PA head for exactly this reason - only 50W so not really much use as a PA (although I do sometimes use it to drive a couple of small wedge monitors) - but it works very well as a guitar head (with reverb), isn't very big or heavy and cost me £40 in 1989… and is probably only worth about that today if you can find one.

Solid state PA heads from 50 to about 150W and with no XLR jacks are worth bugger all these days because no-one wants them for PA, but they're usually solid and reliable. They were made from the 70s to the early 90s (at which point XLR jacks became pretty universal), usually have reverb, can be used in a pinch as a bass amp or even a PA power amp (!), and you'll get any of them for under a hundred quid.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• gubble;282658" said:
    Another idea could be to get a 50 watt or so SS Amp from ebay and convert it to a mini head?
    I'm sure it could be done...

Problem is, they night not be all that small! The bandit is fairly big, takes a whole 1x12 combo. If they just had the line in and the power section (complete with presence knob and resonance button or knob), it would be ideal - reliable for sure, and loud.

There is the zt range, which sound okay. Not tried them with pedals, but as a clean sound it's usable.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    edited July 2014
    You can buy power amp modules that are self contained power amps contained within their own heatsink. All you need to add is a suitable supply, like a 50-0-50 transformer, bridge rect and a couple of smoothing caps. Makes building amps very easy indeed. I've built various powered monitors and such using them. 

Or you can buy the whole thing complete with power supply, bass treble and inputs, like you see in the cheap Thomann and Walfdale powered speakers and wedges

Edit : found a pic of the last powered monitor I built :

Note it's using a power amp module with tone controls and various inputs. One of those in a small box be fine as a backup amp

www.2020studios.co.uk 

Just for context how expensive is your backup guitar? I don't think it is that bad considering how small it is and the fact it is new. Yes s/h old PA amps are cheaper but they aren't really a like for like comparison size wise from what I can tell.

Just for context how expensive is your backup guitar? I don't think it is that bad considering how small it is and the fact it is new. Yes s/h old PA amps are cheaper but they aren't really a like for like comparison size wise from what I can tell.
    MIM Strat of Tele.

£300 is certainly a different league from the £90 for the Micro Terror or about the same for the EHX Magnum.

Yeah agreed but it is much more powerful than either so fills a different niche.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Yeah agreed but it is much more powerful than either so fills a different niche.

The thing is that the Micro Terror and Magnum are interesting becuase they are cheap, very small and fill the need: emergancy backup. If I was thinking of spending 300 I'd just get a spare head...
    Yup, it does look like a good bit of kit, just not for me as a back-up for pub gigs.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Some interesting stuff made by new Polish boys Taurus:

http://www.taurus-amp.pl/guitar/stomp-head.html

Friend of mine had one (which got sold to someone on here, actually!) and it was a decent-sounding bit of kit, 'large-pedal' sized so it'd sit nicely in the back of a combo. Think they're a bit pricey new though.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Yes s/h old PA amps are cheaper but they aren't really a like for like comparison size wise from what I can tell.
    That is a fair point - but they're all smaller than almost any guitar head of more than lunchbox size, so probably no bigger than your main head, and definitely smaller than a combo. If you're carrying a fairly large combo or cabinet anyway, a medium-sized (but still relatively light usually) head as a backup doesn't really add a lot to the load.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Teetonetal;282766" said:
    guitarfishbay said:

Yeah agreed but it is much more powerful than either so fills a different niche. The thing is that the Micro Terror and Magnum are interesting becuase they are cheap, very small and fill the need: emergancy backup. If I was thinking of spending 300 I'd just get a spare head...
    It is a size thing too. Depends how big your car is and how much other gear (or other people) you have to transport. Right now having a compact set up option has value to me.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    gubble said:
    like a crate powerblock?
    The discontinued, difficult to repair and horrid sounding crate powerblock? ;-)

I was looking at some of those Rig Run Downs the other week and they did the guitarists off the Letterman Show ( I think). One had vintage guitars and boutique valve amps and what have you, the other had a recent Les Paul, a few pedals and a Crate PowerBlock. Actually, given the vagueness of my memory not all of that may be correct but I made a special note of the PowerBlock!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Ooh, 20 minutes into this
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    ive a micro terror bought for that reason and did have cause to use it at a gig, plugged my laney vc 30 speakers into it when I thought I had amp probs (turned out just a dodgy leads),, worked fine sounded great and loud enough