What to play on the bass guitar..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I find your lack of faith disturbing. You must learn from the master.  Move over to dark side. Control your fear.  Release your anger!

Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    hywelg said:
    Mr Big......

Easy!

I presume you were taking the p***??

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Crossroads (Jeff Berlin, Pump It)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24207
    hywelg said:
    hywelg said:
    Mr Big......

Easy!

I presume you were taking the p***??

Taking the piss?

Nope. I can play it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thanks for the suggestions guys .  Most of the videos are well out of my league ability wise and, even more importantly, musically of little interest too.  The type of bass sound that appeals to me is: Phil Lynott, Kim Deal, John Edwards, Timothy B. Schmit.  Steady, accurate and completely devoid of flash.  A solid foundation for the band.  I am sure they all could do the flash thing if required but as there is little need for flashy playing with The Eagles, Timothy B. Schmit keeps it straight down the middle.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Rocker said:
      I am sure they all could do the flash thing if required but as there is little need for flashy playing with The Eagles, Timothy B. Schmit keeps it straight down the middle.
    True and he's also singing the most sublime harmonies and an occasional lead vocal to boot. He can do the more involved thing as witnessed when The Eagles play Henley's "New York minute" and Schmit covers Palladino's fretless parts.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72261
    Fully agree. Schmit is an extremely good bassist who seems content playing what's needed for the song, even if it's simple. Sometimes doing the simple things very well is actually harder, because it's more obvious if it isn't absolutely perfect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    @fretmeister - I'd be impressed if you could play Elephant Gun - David Lee Roth (also BIlly Sheehan on bass for those who don't know)

Seeing him play with Winery Dogs this Monday, should be fun.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24207
    I have played it in the past! For a good 10 years I was way too much into his playing!

I've grown up a bit now (not a lot, mind you :D )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    @Fretmeister - I know what you mean, there come a time when you appreciate that looking for tasteful options is better… I used to be able to play the guitar solo to that track, wonder if I still can. Reminds me, I need to go and get my Jem back :-)

• I was flea obsessed and the first song I learnt was skinny sweaty man, then blackeyed blonde, then sir psycho sexy.

All three are brilliant yet relatively simple.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248

This, always this ;) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7393

Classical Thump

Actually this one's better

It just sounds like someone dropped a plugged-in bass down the stairs :-/ 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    This is the only song I've bothered to learn the bass for. I reckon you would enjoy having a crack at it. It's got harmonics and pull off stuff in as well.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Learn the basic "walking bass line" riffs that are most often used with the 3 notes you mention starting out with(in theory speak the 1, 4, 5 played in a 12 bar repeating pattern).   For more challenging and fun stuff.....I used to play the bass line to several Rush songs from various albums pre  1980 or so.  Some of them aren't as difficult technically, just hard to remember, but beautiful to play all on their own.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited July 2014

Deijavoo said:
    Greatest bassline of all time and he sings on top!!

My favourite bass player. The new album is chock full of awesome bass lines, and a fantastic voice too.
  • Good Bass parts to learn - anything by the Pixies.