Ma/current draw

simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
edited July 2014 in FX
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is in the right section or not, please let me know where to put it if not.

Firstly, I'm running the list below of fx powered by a VL Iso5

TC Polytune mini

Boss NS2

Dunlop VP1 volume pedal

Carl Martin Single Channel AC Tone

Carl Martin Simgle Channel Plexi Tone

TC Spark Boost mini

Strymon Timeline.

The timeline is powered through the 9v 300ma outlet, the 2 CM pedals have dedicated outputs each and draw max 62ma, the 3rd 9v outlet is powering the NS2 and Spark mini equalling approx 75ma I think.

I'd like to power the TC polytune from one of these outlets daisy chaining it with one or more of the other pedals and it's current draw is 40ma.

If I attach this to either one of the 3 9v outlets it will take me over the 100ma output per outlet.

My question is this, if a pedal is disengaged, does it still draw current?

If not, then surely I could run it in either 9v outlet and providing i turn off other pedals powered by that outlet before engaging the tuner, it would be unaffected by current draw?

Or would it being only 2ma over the stated output not actually make any difference.

Polytune is arriving tomorrow so can't physically try it!

Ps I don't want to buy another power supply or run a wall wart style plug psu, I want it all running off the VL iso5 unless it really won't happen!

PPS running a polytune mini as space is very tight, otherwise a boss tu2 would be fine as the current draw is much lower!

Please help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11814
    Back up plan

If you are in doubt, you can return the Polytune mini and swap for a full size one and put in a 9V battery.  Which should last a while. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Just try them all and see if it works.

A lot of pedals don't draw their claimed load. 
  • Cheers guys, I'll try it and see what happens. Would be interesting to hear if anyone does know about pedals drawing current if inactive.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    All pedals draw current even when not active, the switching simply takes the effect circuit out of the audio path but leaves it powered up. Most draw a *tiny* bit more when on, because the LED takes a couple of mA, and tuners sometimes draw a lot more when on if they have high-brightness displays. I would expect that 40mA is the 'on' draw for the Polytune.

2mA over probably won't hurt the supply, and in any case I think it's unlikely the Carl Martin pedals draw as much as 62mA - most analogue pedals, especially overdrive, take much less than that. Even if it is accurate, 2mA is probably the LED draw so if you turn it off, you should be totally safe!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Agree. I'd be very surprised if the CMs drew anything like that. That the sort of thing you expect a delay to pull, not a distortion.
  • I thought it was high, on their site it states max 62ma, so they're probs just covering themselves. Thanks everyone, much appreciated!!