Clever website for transcribing

What's Hot
http://chordify.net/

http://chordify.net/chords/rory-gallagher-do-you-read-me-guitar-cover-panama-jack

I was quite impressed!

There is no substitute for learning by ear which is what I do. However, I remember trying to figure out parts to songs that seemed impossible when I was at a lower skill level.

What say you? Maybe I've just been living in a cave and not seen websites like this!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Fascinating! I'm very interested. I've just dumped in a track that I want to do an arrangement for, and there's a bunch of chords! Can't wait to get home and play along on keys to see how accurate it is. B*llocks to all that ear stuff, I just don't have the ability there!
  • axisus said:
    Fascinating! I'm very interested. I've just dumped in a track that I want to do an arrangement for, and there's a bunch of chords! Can't wait to get home and play along on keys to see how accurate it is. B*llocks to all that ear stuff, I just don't have the ability there!
    Well that's my cover of 'Do You Read Me' I posted (I transcribed that by ear) and that's pretty accurate on the part where I'm genuinely playing chords. I certainly think it'll get you in the right ball park.

Do learn some ear training stuff though if you get chance. It'll open so many doors to you!
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for posting, very interesting software, based on the songs I tested, it seems to be fine for basic Major and Minor chords, but it doesn't seem to recognise dominant chords, so the algorithm must have some recognition for roots and thirds.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    It's clever, but not particularly accurate. I just dropped one of my tracks in there (just drums and three guitar tracks, no vocals or bass), and it - inexplicably - comes up with different chords and timings for identical sections (although it does pretty much identify the tempo and time sig correctly). I think it's getting confused with anything that's not a straight major or minor chord - that track uses a lot of min7 and add9 chords.

The solo confused the hell out of it, though. Totally wrong chords there.

While the premise is pretty neat, and it's got to have some damn clever stuff in the back end, at best it's only going to give you a rough idea of where to start. 'Fraid you still need to use your ears on this one ;)
    <space for hire>
  • It's clever, but not particularly accurate. I just dropped one of my tracks in there (just drums and three guitar tracks, no vocals or bass), and it - inexplicably - comes up with different chords and timings for identical sections (although it does pretty much identify the tempo and time sig correctly). I think it's getting confused with anything that's not a straight major or minor chord - that track uses a lot of min7 and add9 chords.

While the premise is pretty neat, and it's got to have some damn clever stuff in the back end, at best it's only going to give you a rough idea of where to start. 'Fraid you still need to use your ears on this one ;)
    Yeah, I think it's only supposed to work on a basic level. It must look for roots, 3rds and 5ths and if owt interferes with that it get's confused. Quite interesting how it works though, I reckon it could be a good introduction to ear training.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402

It's pretty simplistic, doesn't really work on anything except basic whole chords. I uploaded this, the rhythm guitar track from Bostons more than a feeling :

And it only really spots the D majors and G's ... it ignores all the passing tones 

To be honest you could train your ear to be better than this site in about half an hour
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited July 2014

Danny1969 said:

It's pretty simplistic, doesn't really work on anything except basic whole chords. I uploaded this, the rhythm guitar track from Bostons more than a feeling :

And it only really spots the D majors and G's ... it ignores all the passing tones 

To be honest you could train your ear to be better than this site in about half an hour
    I disagree, it would take up to an hour, including the tea break....................... :))

It's clever, but not particularly accurate. I just dropped one of my tracks in there (just drums and three guitar tracks, no vocals or bass), and it - inexplicably - comes up with different chords and timings for identical sections (although it does pretty much identify the tempo and time sig correctly). I think it's getting confused with anything that's not a straight major or minor chord - that track uses a lot of min7 and add9 chords.

Yeah, I think it's only supposed to work on a basic level. It must look for roots, 3rds and 5ths and if owt interferes with that it get's confused. Quite interesting how it works though, I reckon it could be a good introduction to ear training.
    I don't think it recognises 5ths, I tried 7b5, it seems to only recognise Major and Minor thirds. 
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."