This week I've

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

mostly been playing (warming up) in Bminor.

I have absolutely no idea why.

Normally it's Eminor, or occasionally A minor.

Where has Bm appeared from? I haven't listened to anything in Bm either.

I'm confused.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Flat keys says you're a jazzer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'm putting it down to listening to Kirk Hamster, and thinking Bm is the same as Am and Em.

I've also noticed I'm using loads of wah as well at the moment.

AHHH shit, I'm turning into Kirk......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I surprised myself by coming up with a lick that was in the "exotic persian" scale I worked with briefly a few months ago.  I initially charted where all the notes were on the fretboard in "A" and then devised 5 patterns like people do with the pentatonic scale and it appears to have stuck, I wasn't looking for it.  The scale is 1 - flat2 - 3 - 4 - flat 5 - flat 6 - 7 and presents me with a big problem in that the 5th is flat.  I'm so used to relying on the root and the 5th to start and end riffs, but then that's partly why I sought this scale out, to break away from old habits. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    When I read this I thought said warming up in Binmor and I thought must be a place in Wales...
    ...then I reread it and suddenly the subject wasn't so interesting...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I surprised myself by coming up with a lick that was in the "exotic persian" scale I worked with briefly a few months ago.  I initially charted where all the notes were on the fretboard in "A" and then devised 5 patterns like people do with the pentatonic scale and it appears to have stuck, I wasn't looking for it.  The scale is 1 - flat2 - 3 - 4 - flat 5 - flat 6 - 7 and presents me with a big problem in that the 5th is flat.  I'm so used to relying on the root and the 5th to start and end riffs, but then that's partly why I sought this scale out, to break away from old habits. 

Nice example of the Persian Major on your More Halloween song, @dulcetjones. Below is my concept for a keyboard for the persian major; if playing in "C Major" on white notes only you'll get the scale. My favourite is the 4th mode, which you can get by starting and ending on F and playing white notes only. Apols for hijack.

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zps2c492447.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    viz said:

Nice example of the Persian Major on your More Halloween song, @dulcetjones. Below is my concept for a keyboard for the persian major; if playing in "C Major" on white notes only you'll get the scale. My favourite is the 4th mode, which you can get by starting and ending on F and playing white notes only. Apols for hijack.

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zps2c492447.jpg
    That's cool!  I've got to get more into keyboard(while still remaining a guitar fanatic)

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    My son is learning the alto sax, so I've taken to pinching his backing cd's for the odd jam along. Literally everything is in flat keys.

Good training for the brain I suppose.