Best modern ts9 equivalent to replace an 80's original??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited July 2014 in FX

Still looking to replace my original early 80's ts9 with a modern equivalent.

I've tried a maxon od9 but it didn't quite have the output and grit of my original one.

Any ideas??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Emma Stinkbug.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    edited July 2014
    Arcane Analog in Canada built me a ts808 to original specs including original chip. Hell build you an original ts9 no probs!
    His build quality is amazing and it sounds absolutely exact to the original.photo IMG_20140522_191638.jpgphoto IMG_20140522_191831.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Luckily for you, there are plenty of tubescreamer clones out there. I love the route 66 or route 808 - it's a modded tubescreamer to give more gain if wanted, wider tone control and much more volume on tap. It has a bass boost, too. Any boutique guy could make you one with more output available (I remember someone saying the problems with originals was less output than desired).

So you can get all the classic tubescreamer sounds, but it basically has 'more'. Sadly, my switches are starting to go - get a v2 pedal with the big soft switch and it should last forever. Apparently.

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited July 2014
    @allicio that looks lovely.

I use a TS made by @juansolo . I dunno what version it's based on or any of that mallarky but it's great. It has a JRC4558 which may be either really important or really not that important ;)

No need to spend the earth on a TS.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    @lew cheers mate. I have a few of his pedals. There all absolutely top draw but the MKII he built for me is on another level altogether!
    Recommend anybody check him out
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    ThePrettyDamned;285301" said:
    Luckily for you, there are plenty of tubescreamer clones out there. I love the route 66 or route 808 - it's a modded tubescreamer to give more gain if wanted, wider tone control and much more volume on tap. It has a bass boost, too. Any boutique guy could make you one with more output available (I remember someone saying the problems with originals was less output than desired).

So you can get all the classic tubescreamer sounds, but it basically has 'more'. Sadly, my switches are starting to go - get a v2 pedal with the big soft switch and it should last forever. Apparently.

I briefly had a double trouble a few years ago and was really impressed with it .
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    The current Ibanez TS9 sounds fine to me. I have a Luther drive which is great & the Bad Monkey always gets a lot of praise.
  • riffpowers;285321" said:
    ThePrettyDamned;285301" said:Luckily for you, there are plenty of tubescreamer clones out there. I love the route 66 or route 808 - it's a modded tubescreamer to give more gain if wanted, wider tone control and much more volume on tap. It has a bass boost, too. Any boutique guy could make you one with more output available (I remember someone saying the problems with originals was less output than desired).

I briefly had a double trouble a few years ago and was really impressed with it .
    Yeah, I was thinking of getting one so one side is bright and boosty for tightening high gain and the other is gainy but with the bass boost on for usable overdrive, but I prefer an sd-1 boosting an amp, so I'm in a dilemma. Luckily, I don't need to worry as I spent my overdrive money on a...

Wah. :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    There were different op-amp chips used in the original TS9s.  I'm not sure of the details but some of them had the JRC 4558 that the 808 has, I think that some had the chip that Ibanez use in the reissue, and I think that there was at least one other chip used, maybe more.  You can find the history on Google.

It might be worth opening yours up to see what op-amp chip is in it. It might be different from the Maxon version. 

Changing the chip can make a difference.  It definitely made a difference to my reissue when I changed the chip to a JRC 4558.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Keeley TS9?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Don't EQD build one now too?
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Lew said:
    @allicio that looks lovely.

I use a TS made by @juansolo . I dunno what version it's based on or any of that mallarky but it's great. It has a JRC4558 which may be either really important or really not that important ;)

No need to spend the earth on a TS.
    It's not really that important, but it's what people like to see in there so it's what we use.

It's not a vintage accurate one. It has a few tweaks here and there. Ostensibly though, it's a Tubescreamer.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

I use an EHX East River Drive.

It sounds great, cost £45.

• therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    JHS moonshine of the Cusack Screamer are both delicious! I like the three different clipping options you get with both.
  • dano91dano91 Frets: 24
    Alnico;286144" said:
    I use an EHX East River Drive.It sounds great, cost £45.
    Selling them for £38 at Dolphin Music. :)