vst instruments for reaper

What's Hot
Ok after all the talk about reaper here have downloaded. The set up is a bit confusing but seem to have it working . A big learning curve so need to play around on it . Looking to mainly create tracks using virtual instruments which I will eventually export to my aw 1600 where I will add live recording. So any recommendations for good range of Vsti 's ?
Using windows 7
Tks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kurokuro Frets: 26
    try kvraudio.com

tons of info on vsts

computer music used to give a lot away with the cover disc, don't know if they still do
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    What sort of instruments do you want? 

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited July 2014
    I've this posted before, but I feel this is by far the best free VST reverb by a long, long, long, long, long, long way.

http://vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=DX_Reverb_Light&id=456
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    What sort of instruments do you want? 

drums., piano., strings., wind all the usual stuff > I have tried downloading some I found but none of them seem to work. One is called Kontakt 5 from Native intruments ., another called softdrum ., I tried several others ( from vst planet) but windows would not let me save them ..they had the file extension .rar .. I have been messing around all day and getting some computer rage as reaper looks interesting if only I could get it set up.  
    you need to unpack .rar files, use winrar.

Mmm tried downloading winrar and it brought lot's of nasties with it .( Loaded from Cnet) so spending several hours now cleaning up. Not been a good weekend IT wise.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Mmm tried downloading winrar and it brought lot's of nasties with it .( Loaded from Cnet) so spending several hours now cleaning up. Not been a good weekend IT wise.
    winrar is completely kosher.  You can download it from the site, it's free with a nag screen; a few quid without the nag screen.  Been using it for years, it's a classic and no problem.

Kontakt has worked flawlessly on every machine I've had so I'm guessing you tried a non-kosher version if you had problems.  The Native Instruments site has all the programs and add ons.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Buy a copy of Computer Music magazine - comes with loads of vsti's and effects/processors on the cover disc.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Have a look for a thread on the Reaper Forum,   Going all freeware (well almost)  tons of links and info on vsts .
    edited July 2014
    Thks guys , really tired an pissed off right now with computers. I spent all of yesterday trying to sort the laptop out. I think it was Cnet that hit it with all sorts of crap. One hijacked my browser and would not let me change back. I managed to uninstall it , but as a lovely gift it removed all of my network settings so I could no longer connect to the internet.

My system restore kept failing , and after around two hours I found within mozzilla a check box to allow it to automatically use network settings and got the internet back.

Then I tried to run my usual Malware  "Malwarebyte" , but seems they have "upgraded " and now it keeps freezing (common problem according to the forums). I have run Spybot and AVG and hopefully killed off most of the spyware , but feel the laptop has been somewhat crippled and nearly took a flight out of the window...

Will have to take a break away from it as really fed up. Perhaps that is why I like guitars . Plug in /switch on the amp and we are away....  :-( 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Once you get your laptop sorted, Native Instruments do a few freebies that are worth downloading.
    Have bought a copy of computer music and see if I can get some instruments from there.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    I suppose it really depends on the sort of thing you're after. Guitar amp sims? Acoustic pianos? Drums? Retro keys (mellotron, electric piano, clav etc.)? Synths?

There are some free, basic and very cut down versions of the Native Instruments stuff on their site:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/free/

I find NI stuff to be excellent sounding, if somewhat idiosyncratic in it's operation. 

Being into 60s/psyche, I quite like this Mellotron: https://sites.google.com/site/artifakelabs/

My favourite free synth is the Ichiro Toda's "Synth1". It's basically a modelled Nord Lead 2. Don't be fooled by the basic looks, it sounds great and is very economical on your CPU. Another massive plus is that there are many banks of sounds kicking about so you should be able to find something you like.
    http://www.kvraudio.com/product/synth1-by-ichiro-toda

In summary there's a shitload of free stuff out there. Some of it wonderful, some less so. Part of the problem is filtering out the crap. 

It's also worth keeping an eye on, and subscribing to, various manufacturers sites and forums. From time to time they do some decent offers or give a free download of a usually paid-for product. 

Thks . I finally seem to have sorted the computer I had to use a number of anti malware stuff as my usual did not get it (AVG /Malwarebyte/Spybot) . In the end Avast got it hiding in the boot up.

I bought computer music mag and got a number from there. Still having trouble getting them into reaper for some reason. Have followed guides on you tube (if I remember well Preferences /options then browse the computer to add the pathway , rescan then apply). Think I might give up for a while and go back to my AW1600 for a while as spending too much time sorting computer and not enough playing !

Thks for everyones comments
    One thing to possibly check is that you're keeping 32 and 64 bit vsts in separate folders.

Have a swizz on the reaper forums, the resident guru's will sort out any issues without the condescending bitchiness you get on other forums *cough* ableton *cough*.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I quite like Alchemy for synths and Peavey Revalver for guitars - the free version of the latter is pretty much full functionality aside from not being able to save patches, but its great sound quality.

The LePou amps are also good.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    edited July 2014
    Thks . I finally seem to have sorted the computer I had to use a number of anti malware stuff as my usual did not get it (AVG /Malwarebyte/Spybot) . In the end Avast got it hiding in the boot up.

I bought computer music mag and got a number from there. Still having trouble getting them into reaper for some reason. Have followed guides on you tube (if I remember well Preferences /options then browse the computer to add the pathway , rescan then apply). Think I might give up for a while and go back to my AW1600 for a while as spending too much time sorting computer and not enough playing !

Thks for everyones comments
    Have you tried to copy and paste from the download dll file straight to vst plugin file in programme. I think this worked for me.ps Then close Reaper and start it up again. ie Reaper may look for them when it starts up.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I try and have the vst's in the same folder (bearing in mind what Kuro says about 32/64 bits) in Programs/steinberg I think it's better if Reaper doesn't have to scan all over the show to find the dll's. 
    I agree it's a drag when you spend so much time sorting out computer stuff when you want to be playing music. Sometimes going back a day or two later you have a clear mind and can find the problem. As is often the case with software it's usually a setting or a tick in a box somewhere then you get going.
    Me and my big mouth now post comment won't work.

Don't touch that dial.