little help with new nut

I've just fitted a new nut to my new Warmoth neck.
Do I need to put a spot of superglue in the slot to hold it in place now that its all finished ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yes a couple of dots so it can also be removed easily further down the line
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Up to you.
    Some people do, some don't.
    I put a small amount on- enough so i can knock it off with a light tap from a mallet.
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Ok will do.
    Thank you.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    If it's the usual strat/tele neck nut slot, and you have a good close fit of the nut in there, then personally I wouldn't use any glue. If the nut is tending to move sideways at all e.g. when bending a string, then maybe a couple of spots of cyanoacrylate on the base, but make them really small spots - you only need just enough to stop the nut moving. Use too much glue, and the nut could be tricky to remove later, if you ever want to change it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72251
    edited July 2014
    I always glue them in strongly - enough glue to produce a full bond between the nut and the neck. I think they sound better like that, and it reduces or eliminates the chance of it cracking at one of the string grooves - and if you ever do need to remove it, it's because it needs to be replaced, so you can just cut it out if you can't remove it easily. (Cut the nut in half across the width of the neck, then break the halves into the cut.)

I don't agree with the idea that you should do something less well because there's a small possibility you might have to undo it at some time and don't know how to safely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein