Ibanez barrel socket?

What's Hot
After a few failed attempts to rewire an ibanez, i managed to trace the problem to the long reach barrel jack socket. i think a stray bit of solder is causing a short. Its in an awkward place and I'm thinking of taking it off to clean it. Is removing/refitting it a straightforward task or it there anything I should look out for. 
secondly if I decided to replace it, would this do? http://www.maplin.co.uk/6.35mm-stereo-long-reach-chassis-socket-223988-i know it's stereo, but would that matter?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited September 2013
    Barrel sockets are the work of Satan.

I have no idea why any guitar manufacturer uses them anywhere other than for acoustic endpin jacks... they often break, can't be re-tensioned or even cleaned easily, are a pain in the arse to replace and "better quality" ones cost a fortune compared to even a top-quality proper jack.

That said, unless it's easy to bore the guitar body out for a proper jack you are probably best to replace it with the same thing... the Maplin one is fine, in fact there's no point in using a "better quality" one because there's no such thing. Connect both the sleeve and ring connections to ground, that will increase reliability a tiny (very tiny) bit.

Undo all the wiring first, then you should be able to unscrew it. Sometimes it's easier to hold the nut and rotate the barrel, other times the other way round...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;27421" said:
    Barrel sockets are the work of Satan.

I have no idea why any guitar manufacturer uses them anywhere other than for acoustic endpin jacks... they often break, can't be re-tensioned or even cleaned easily, are a pain in the arse to replace and "better quality" ones cost a fortune compared to even a top-quality proper jack.

That said, unless it's easy to bore the guitar body out for a proper jack you are probably best to replace it with the same thing... the Maplin one is fine, in fact there's no point in using a "better quality" one because there's no such thing. Connect both the sleeve and ring connections to ground, that will increase reliability a tiny (very tiny) bit.

Undo all the wiring first, then you should be able to unscrew it. Sometimes it's easier to hold the nut and rotate the barrel, other times the other way round...
    I fully endorse what ICBM says Andy
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Just had the same problem with my Washburn bass. I bored out and fitted a rugby ball shaped plate from axesrus.
    Don't touch that dial.