More Eurometal hilarity. Video again probably NSFW.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    His guitar isn't plugged in.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    This thread needs some real metal

How the hell have I got this far without knowing there was a video for that track?  I've had the album years, some awesome stuff on it.

I like Blind Guardian, got a lot of their albums.  Also got a lot of Sonata Arctctica albums too.

You know it is going to be cheese when the fan video is full of pictures of wolves.

Keytar!

Also Evergrey are awesome, a lot darker though but very Euro.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited July 2014
    Bidley said:

Wow I had no idea there were more than a few people on here with similar tastes to me. Today is a good day.

@Bidley Well, I've been listening to Coroner and enjoying them since you mentioned them a few months ago...

There have been a few more suggestions here that I'll have to follow up. What I've tried of Stratovarius I didn't get, but Symphony X I like so far. I've tried one Blind Guardian album and quite dug it.

I'll have to go through @guitarfishbay 's videos to see if any LOLs strike...
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926

Sonata Arctica are great, the epitome of that melodic vein of Euro Power metal. Never really got massively into Evergrey, but I thought they were decent when I saw them live yonks ago so I'll give your posts a listen @guitarfishbay

I'm going to spam the shit out of this thread too!

@DLM you've been 'marked' for a while :) glad you're digging Coroner, Tommy Vetterli, their guitarist, is a massive influence on me.

If you've not heard Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth yet, then you simply must. That album literally changed my life.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Which Blind Guardian album did you get @DLM ?

If it wasn't Nightfall In Middle Earth then make sure you get that one next.

It is like Queen had a baby with Iron Maiden and it decided it wanted to do power metal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    Bidley said:

@DLM you've been 'marked' for a while :)

http://dogsmom.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/scared_cat.jpg

I'll have to try Nightfall, I've not heard it.

Vetterli is interesting because he doesn't sound derivative, which is very unusual in metal guitarists. I can often hear not only who they're ripping off, but which solo, even with players I really like, like Paul Gilbert.
    @guitarfishbay

Imaginations From The Other Side

I have to admit that I've not really listened to that much Maiden or Queen, only the most famous tracks. The rest of the band started jamming The Trooper off the cuff at our last rehearsal (we don't do covers, apart from one Misfits song) and though I knew what it was, I was unable to join in.

@DLM yeah Vetterli is quite unique, especially if you consider Coroner were doing the whole prog/tech/thrash thing in the mid 80's, when thrash itself was still a young sub-genre. He has a very identifiable style and signature which I like too.

Imaginations is one of BG's flawless albums, IMO. That, Nightfall, Somewhere Far Beyond and A Night at the Opera are the pinnacle of metal.

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    edited July 2014
    A few suggestions:

Royal Hunt - Paradox (and their entire opus, Andre Andersen is a genius)
    Symphony X - Divine wings of Tragedy, Iconoclast, The Odyssey (and everything else basically)
    Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands II
    Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Star One - Space Metal (this is a masterpiece!)
    Elegy - Forbidden Fruit
    Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light (OK, not Eurometal but great!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A few of my favourites:

Not necessarily cheesy, just great power metal.
    Elx said:
    A few suggestions:

Royal Hunt - Paradox (and their entire opus, Andre Andersen is a genius)
    Symphony X - Divine wings of Tragedy, Iconoclast, The Odyssey (and everything else basically)
    Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands II
    Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Star One - Space Metal (this is a masterpiece!)
    Elegy - Forbidden Fruit
    Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light (OK, not Eurometal but great!)
    Love me some Symphony X, Star One, Rhapsody (of Fire) and Fate's Warning. Royal Hunt I've been meaning to check out for a long while, never heard of Elegy. Cheers @Elx
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    @Bidley, good to know there are more of us! :)