Heads up on good Deal - £46

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
edited July 2014 in FX
Spotted this by luck really - Digitech Hardwire CM Tube Driver just £46 on Amazon

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Yeah it's been at that price for a while. I'm trying hard not to order one, considering I really, really don't need it. Is it more or less tubescreamery (i.e. as close as a bad monkey, anyway), and does it have more boost on tap than a bad monkey or tubescreamer?

The big stores seem to (finally) be matching Thomann prices. You'd actually pay a little more on Thomann with the foreign exchange charge most CCs charge (not to mention the postage charge if that's all you're getting), but then you'd have a 3 year warranty...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yeah it's been at that price for a while. I'm trying hard not to order one, considering I really, really don't need it. Is it more or less tubescreamery (i.e. as close as a bad monkey, anyway), and does it have more boost on tap than a bad monkey or tubescreamer?

The big stores seem to (finally) be matching Thomann prices. You'd actually pay a little more on Thomann with the foreign exchange charge most CCs charge (not to mention the postage charge if that's all you're getting), but then you'd have a 3 year warranty...
    I'd rather pay a few quid more and buy from Thomann. I won't buy anything on Amazon now. 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Dave_Mc said:

I'd rather pay a few quid more and buy from Thomann. I won't buy anything on Amazon now. 
    yeah those discounted prices and next day deliveries are for idiots...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014

Those aren't the only criteria by which I judge a company. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17602
    tFB Trader

What are you judging them on?
    My reasons. Thomann for me. 

Dave_Mc said:

Yeah I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a fan of Amazon's business practices etc. either, but it's too darn easy to buy from them, a few clicks and it's on its way. :))

Any input on the questions I asked regarding the pedal? :))
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I've got a CM-2 and a Bad Monkey. The CM-2 gets played and the Monkey stays in a drawer. I'd say the CM-2 has a lot more boost than the Monkey and to my ears, a bit more clarity. I've never had a Tubescreamer so can't compare directly but I'd have the CM-2 over the Monkey any day.The switch on the CM-2 to go from Classic - Modern gives you more options too. At £46 it's a no brainer. Great pedal.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17602
    tFB Trader
    Beexter said:
    I've got a CM-2 and a Bad Monkey. The CM-2 gets played and the Monkey stays in a drawer. I'd say the CM-2 has a lot more boost than the Monkey and to my ears, a bit more clarity. I've never had a Tubescreamer so can't compare directly but I'd have the CM-2 over the Monkey any day.The switch on the CM-2 to go from Classic - Modern gives you more options too. At £46 it's a no brainer. Great pedal.
    I think the CM-2 runs on 15v internally so I'd expect it to have a bit more welly.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited July 2014
    Yet to check out Thomman, but most of the HardWire pedals are significantly discounted on Amazon at the moment.

edited July 2014
    ^ Yeah I noticed the valve distortion was the same price. Clips I've heard sounded pretty decent, but again it's not like I need one, at all. Anyone know if it's based on anything? Guessing it is, but I could be wrong. I had a quick look at freestompboxes but they didn't seem to have reversed the Hardwires yet :(

Beexter said:
    Thanks. I have a joyo ts clone and I think it sounds slightly (very, very slightly) better than the bad monkey (the bad monkey sort of sounds a little like it has a blanket over it), but the bad monkey has more versatility with the bass knob. And I'd also trust the build quality of the bad monkey more.

If it has more boost, that's awesome. That's a problem I find with most TS-type pedals. I know the visual sound one does, but it's a bit dear in Europe plus a kind of annoying, obnoxious shape. :)) Obviously doesn't affect the sound (and they do have a good rep), but if it throws the whole pedalboard out of kilter, that's not so great.

Anyone have any idea what the classic/modern switch does? Electronically, I mean. Just out of interest.

Beexter said:
    I think the CM-2 runs on 15v internally so I'd expect it to have a bit more welly.
    Thanks, I didn't realise that. Yeah if it bumps the voltage up that normally (I think :)) ) translates to more headroom/boost etc.

Dangit. :)) And Thomann has the soul food for a decentish price too. And I need to put in a Thomann order.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684

You'd be hard pressed to buy anything from anybody if you're judging them morally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

"Anyone have any idea what the classic/modern switch does? Electronically, I mean. Just out of interest."

I don't know about the electronics side of things but it adds a lot more gain/ grunt. It's a nice option to have. I'd agree on the comments about the Bad Monkey sounding like a blanket over the amp - I've tried to get on with it, but can't. The Hardwire kicks the Monkey's butt.

daveyh said:
    You'd be hard pressed to buy anything from anybody if you're judging them morally.
    True, but some are worse than others, all the same. It's like saying all politicians are dicks- maybe, but I'd rather have Dave Cameron as PM than Hitler or Stalin, say. There are different levels of dickishness. :))
    Beexter said:
    I don't know about the electronics side of things but it adds a lot more gain/ grunt. It's a nice option to have. I'd agree on the comments about the Bad Monkey sounding like a blanket over the amp - I've tried to get on with it, but can't. The Hardwire kicks the Monkey's butt.

The bad monkey is just a killer deal (and I got it to use up a credit note I had), but yeah it does sound a little worse than even some of the other cheaper od pedals I've had. Though as I said, I'd trust it not to break more than some of the other cheap pedals, plus it's more versatile with the bass knob.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Dave_Mc;287062" said:
    ^ Yeah I noticed the valve distortion was the same price. Clips I've heard sounded pretty decent, but again it's not like I need on...
    Beexter said:

the bad monkey sort of sounds a little like it has a blanket over it)
    I'm glad you said this, I've recently got a bad monkey in place of my ts808 as I was worried about breaking it and since then, I have not been getting on with my ac30! Maybe I'll take it back out of the chain and here some highs again!