Battery only pedals :/

What's Hot
MattGMattG Frets: 170
edited July 2014 in FX
Hey guys probably a noob question but i am currently running my board off of a Johnny shred freak power supply with everything daisy chained and no issues of any kind however....
I have a Rotosound RBF1 (Tonebender mk11) and a couple of other battery only pedals on the way so my question is, can i safely run these off of a isolated powersupply like the voodoo labs one with just battery clip converters or would i need something akin to the gigrig virtual battery even with an isolated power supply? in which case i might as well not bother with a new supply and plug the virtual batteries into the JSF.
Cheers guys :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    no wisdom?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    You should be fine. I've done it without issue
    is that with an isolated supply?
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Isolated or non isolated it shouldn't matter. Anything fuzz related though I would seriously look at the Virtual Battery. Need to pick up another one for a Sunface. It does make a difference!
    so something like a voodoo labs supply and normal battery snap adapters would be no good then?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It absolutely must be an isolated supply for positive-ground fuzzes, although if you have more than one you can daisy-chain all of them from one outlet - their current draw is so small it won't be an issue. Battery clip adapters are fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

cheers mate any recommendations for budget isolated supplies?
    One of the Harley Benton ones is! I forget which, I think it's the Junior.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    I have the very same pedal as yours (yes I do love Rival Sons...) and have powered it with the battery clip adapter of a Voodoo Lab PSU without any problems. Isolated outputs is a must is you like your Fuzz pedals or Treble Boosters, a lot of them are PNP so opposite polarity.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    For a Tonebender it's likely positive ground (same goes for Fuzz Faces and anything else running PNP transistors), so to run it from a common PSU, you'd need to do a little fettling. It's not a big job, but you'll want a bipolar supply/inverter in there and a little bit of a re-wire. Worth it though as you can then treat it like any other pedal and run it on the Shredfreak with anything else
    MattG said:
    Yes - I haven't tried one personally but I've heard good reports about them. Just make sure the outputs are actually isolated! It wouldn't be impossible that they're claimed to be but aren't…

juansolo said:
    Worth it though as you can then treat it like any other pedal and run it on the Shredfreak with anything else
    I've really gone off high-current single power supplies, having begun to see a fair number of expensive/terminal failures caused by them - if you do accidentally connect one of the wrong polarity, the supply capacity is big enough to keep pushing current through the protection diode until it not only shorts (dead pedal, usually easily repairable) but until the diode burns away completely and then exposes the circuitry it was protecting to the reverse voltage (very dead pedal, not easily repairable).

Much better to use multiple low-current isolated outputs so each one will shut itself down without frying anything.

They do seem to be from what the forums are saying
    i could run 3 battery operated fuzz/trebble boosters and my OCD from the HB jr?
    Yes, although ideally you want them with a barrel plug rather than socket on the other end, and for a lot less money than that!

oh yeah this was just the first link that popped up i use a couple for my yamaha and DOD so ill get them from the same place
    Cool cheers guys :)
  • rauldukeraulduke Frets: 81
    The Harley Benton Power Plant is cheap as chips and has isolated outputs.

I use one for some of my stuff (including positive ground fuzzes) and it works fine for me.

I'm not sure if it comes with battery snap adaptors though. You might have to buy some as an extra.