Logic X anyone else using it?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'd love a real drummer to record but convincing my wife and kids to allow any of the drummers I jam with to come round and set up in my little tiny corner of my house is gonna take some convincing. Actually they'd love it, neighbours would be the real issue I guess.

LOVE BFD when it works mind you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Deijavoo said:
    octatonic;5731" said:
    Did you do a fresh install of ML or go over the top?

Excuse my ignorance but I just downloaded it from App Store, installed it from there. Is that not the done thing? 
    That is an 'over the top install'.
    Not ideal- as any issues that you had in the old OS might reappear in the update.
    Usually I would back everything up, create an installer image for the download and then boot into that and reinstall from scratch with a freshly formatted hard drive.
    It is the only way to be sure it is a clean install.
    Deijavoo said:
    I'd love a real drummer to record but convincing my wife and kids to allow any of the drummers I jam with to come round and set up in my little tiny corner of my house is gonna take some convincing. Actually they'd love it, neighbours would be the real issue I guess.

LOVE BFD when it works mind you. 
    I have BFD & Superior Drummer.
    I use them a lot but the new Logic Drummer app is something new and better for quickly mocking drums up, I think.
    Oh....

We'll see how this memory works out tonight and take it from there......    

There may be tears....
    Make sure you have a good backup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No more Core Audio failures!

However I now get "Logic Pro (not responding)" on the Activity Monitor.

*sigh*

SSD Thunderbolt drive to record to next I think.
    When do you get 'not responding' messages?
    During record or playback?
    Did you upgrade to the latest version of Logic 9? (9.1.8 I think)

You absolutely should get an external drive to record to but I wouldn't bother with SSD- a fast 7200 rpm drive is more than adequate and you will get a bigger drive for your money.
    SSD does have advantages as a boot drive but there is no real point as an audio drive.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Also you have to set Logic up differently for recording and playback. So remember to go into audio settings and change the buffer size to match what you are doing.

More buffer = longer latency- But a better track count when mixing

Less buffer= low latency and is therefore better for recording audio takes.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

Yeah I do read about changing latency for mixing but never really go near it.  

I tend to leave it at 256 all the time rightly or wrongly. 

I thought SSD just due to potentially future proofing it so to speak.  I was going to get a 256, maybe a 480 and use it as a boot drive if possible too.

Who knows, as you may guess I'm a bit of a noob at this stuff. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    We'll help you fella.

Also there is a useful forum for Logic users here http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers!  

I do need it, othwise I'm on for an early heart attack with all this crashing...
  • I'm using Logic Pro X on a MBP and it's alright.  It stumbles a bit due to slow drive, but I like it.  One of the things I don't like about it is that I can't record multiple tracks with one input. I can copy tracks to get around it.

I've finished my first noodle about with Logic Pro X, which was a forum collective track, which was a lot of fun and not as painful as I thought that it would be.

For £130, I think that it's good value.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    A resounding Buy Buy for Logic X. runs an absolute treat on my 2009 Mac Pro running Mavericks. The consensus is right, the more Ram the better, especially with multiple instances of Kontakt, Amplitube etc running, btw octatonic, hope all is well, your old Control 1 is performing admirably :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    FWIW, BFD3 has a Logic X Drummer keymap.. meaning you can load BFD3 into the drummer track and get the better sounds, but with the auto-drummer stuff!

Also... they kinda nicked the idea from Jamstix. But they did it much better. I only wish I could design my own drummers. Or somehow feed it midi tracks and have it generate a drummer from that.
    Also if BFD2 is crashing, send me a crash log and I'll try and tell you exactly where it is crashing.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

when my BFD2 was crashy I beefed up my RAM and things improved hugely..

then later I beefed up the RAM even more and switched to 64-bit and had no further issues..

play every note as if it were your first
  • I've been considering updating to Logic-X for a while now. 

I've been running Pro 9 on Snow Leopard since it came out. Its all ran very stable from the start so I've been reluctant to change to both Logic X and OS X. Everytime I consider updating the OS I get scared off reading about issues. I was going to go for Maverick but I'd heard a lot of people saying it severely slowed their system down. 

Guess I am stuck in a 'if its not broke don't fix it' situation. Still - I'll have to take the plunge soon. I'd just hate for it to play up on me during an important studio session after doing so. 

Hmm, might hold out and max out the Mac Pro tower's RAM first. 
    I've been considering updating to Logic-X for a while now. 

I've been running Pro 9 on Snow Leopard since it came out. Its all ran very stable from the start so I've been reluctant to change to both Logic X and OS X. Everytime I consider updating the OS I get scared off reading about issues. I was going to go for Maverick but I'd heard a lot of people saying it severely slowed their system down. 

Guess I am stuck in a 'if its not broke don't fix it' situation. Still - I'll have to take the plunge soon. I'd just hate for it to play up on me during an important studio session after doing so. 

Hmm, might hold out and max out the Mac Pro tower's RAM first. 
    Not for me.
    I have 100+ track mixes running on a 2010 Mac Pro with Mavericks and it is rock solid.
    Ditto. I'm on a Hackintosh, no sluggishness with Logic here.
  • Cool - well that's reassuring! Thanks.