Electro acoustic basses

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
how much like an upright bass do they sound?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    not very, as a rule

the closest I got was with a Washburn AB10 with some kitchen towel painstakingly arranged under the strings

and that was after trying all sorts of densities of foam and cloth first
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    hmmm, interesting. Dumb question, where abouts did you wrap the kitchen towel?

• There was the Ashbory silicone-strung bass

When I was last up Denmark Street (or it might have been in Macari's on TCR) I noticed what looked like a new design (Chinese build?) using the same strings. I don't remember the brand, I'm afraid.
    VimFuego said:
    hmmm, interesting. Dumb question, where abouts did you wrap the kitchen towel?
    it was rolled up and tucked under the strings next to the bridge, but not too tightly packed - just enough to lose some sustain but not so much that it strangled the note altogether.
    gotcha. Was it VOS kitchen towel or Tesco value?

nice.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to mimic the tone of an upright with an electric, fretted bass?

• Was that not the purpose of the string dampeners on the bridges of the early Precision basses?
    I've not tried, but it might be possible to get a vaguely similar sound.

I doubt it would fool anyone who's heard a proper upright though ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    edited September 2013
    I would have to add electro-acoustic basses to the catalogue of Works Of Satan.

They aren't actually usable acoustically - they're usually almost inaudible compared to an acoustic guitar and have no bottom end - and the amplified tone isn't much better, plus the pickups seem for some reason to be even more prone to string balance problems and general unreliability than even normal guitar piezos. They're for MTV "Un"plugged posing and little more, in my opinion.

If it's an upright bass sound you want you'll get closer with a fretless electric bass and some EQ (you actually want more low-mid than real low-end), and possibly the string dampers you do find on some old basses as Paul_C said. Strangely enough, holding an electric bass nearly upright, 'Bill Wyman style' and playing with your hand more in an upright-bass position with your thumb against the side of the fingerboard does actually make a difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I have owned a passable acoustic bass (when plugged in, as ICBM says, they're never very loud acoustically) - a Fender Kingman.
    noted, thanks guys.

• Kala U-Bass

Does need to be amped though.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Lookout for Yamaha BEX4 on the bay of evil - has a piezo bridge pickup and a single normal pickup - very flexible sound.

I'm a bass newb - but am loving it.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

They aren't actually usable acoustically - they're usually almost inaudible compared to an acoustic guitar and have no bottom end - and the amplified tone isn't much better, plus the pickups seem for some reason to be even more prone to string balance problems and general unreliability than even normal guitar piezos. They're for MTV "Un"plugged posing and little more, in my opinion.

If it's an upright bass sound you want you'll get closer with a fretless electric bass and some EQ (you actually want more low-mid than real low-end), and possibly the string dampers you do find on some old basses as Paul_C said. Strangely enough, holding an electric bass nearly upright, 'Bill Wyman style' and playing with your hand more in an upright-bass position with your thumb against the side of the fingerboard does actually make a difference.
    This is what I was going to write, but ICBM has already said it better.
    They are a total waste of time. In order to work with bass frequencies the body has to be massive like this:

I think acoustic basses only exist to give bass players something to play on MTV if they don't know how to play an upright. 

Stagg do a very good electric upright for not much cash. 
    yeah, I've seen relatively cheap uprights, but what's always concerned me is how easy are they to learn? i.e. where the notes are on the neck?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    Freless bases are surprisingly easy to learn (provided you have dots or lines on the neck)

Full scale uprights are a bit harder because the notes are a lot further apart. 

Dean do a bass guitar scale upright, but it sounds much more like a regular fretless.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    I'd agree that acoustic bass guitars are pretty gutless unamplified.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:

They aren't actually usable acoustically - they're usually almost inaudible compared to an acoustic guitar and have no bottom end - and the amplified tone isn't much better ....

Sorry, but had to facepalm this. Yes, acoustic basses are practically inaudible unamplified, but that's where I stop agreeing. The amplified tone on mine certainly does not lack bottom end, and also has a really different character to my fretless solid-body basses. So, sound-wise it definitely justifies its existence. And then the appearance is also significant. It's the bass that attracts the most comments from otherwise ignorant punters. And if anybody is going to claim they choose an instrument on the basis of sound alone and with no regard to looks ... well, they probably shouldn't be on stage! ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Facepalm away :).

Hopefully the pickup or the preamp won't play up on yours either... they tend to. To be fair, much of the reason I dislike them is the typical piezo systems - in my opinion they sound crap as well as being unreliable. If I could get (or make) an acoustic bass with a magnetic pickup I'd be prepared to give it much more of a fair hearing.

My Rickenbacker 4001 also gets complimented a lot on its appearance, which is part of the reason I use it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein