Anyone using Genelecs?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Yeah I pretty much just read the Q&As now because at least you know who those guys are. Have you got an opinion on the 80xx series Genelecs which are the ones in this deal?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    edited July 2014
    octatonic said:
    Drew_fx said:
    The A7X's and A8X's are supposed to sound quite different. The A7X's have all the mids.

I always read online that Genelecs sound 'finished' too soon, but I've stopped reading Gearslutz much as you never know who is saying what...
    Sorry but that is nonsense.
    Gearslutz is full of idiots repeating what they hear from other idiots.
    A lot of the time yes but as you know there's also a lot of stuff by people who really know what they are doing, David Bendeth, Bob Clearmountain, Mike Shipley, Greg Wells etc ...... just be nice if there was an easier way to wade through the crap to get to the good posts
     I use 3 sets of speakers, NS10's for basic mixing, Pioneer hi fi speakers to check bottom end and little HK computer speakers to check to see how the mix translates to little PC speakers
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Danny1969 said:
    A lot of the time yes but as you know there's also a lot of stuff by people who really know what they are doing, David Bendeth, Bob Clearmountain, Mike Shipley, Greg Wells etc ...... just be nice if there was an easier way to wade through the crap to get to the good posts I use 3 sets of speakers, NS10's for basic mixing, Pioneer hi fi speakers to check bottom end and little HK computer speakers to check to see how the mix translates to little PC speakers
    Michael Wagener too.

I used to frequent GS a lot up until around 2010- now I cannot bear it.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I am slightly horrified reading about NS10s, when I was involved (admittedly a good few years ago now) they were just used as a good average HiFi reference to see what a mix would sound like in an average living room, and something you could rely on as a standard in a variety of studios for that very purpose.

I assume the other monitors in this thread are of a similar caliber, as I have been away from the music biz for so long that pretty much everything has changed.  (TBH I am surprised how much is still the same, actually)

I would really like to get an understanding of how to make good use of the current range of compact studio monitors, if any of you would be kind enough to help with a few words of guidance.  Cheers  :)

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Really good article on the venerable NS10 here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

and somewhere I've got saved someone's Masters dissertation piece where they did a MASSIVE comparison of frequency responses, transient responses, waterfall plots etc for a dozen or so monitors (including the NS10s) in a bid to find out what it was about them that made so many engineers love 'em despite their so-so 'on-paper' specs.

I'd love to be able to afford a pair in decent nick :o you can get WAY better flat-response monitors now for what you'll pay for a decent set of secondhand NS10s...but they won't have those white cones...*sigh*

I am slightly horrified reading about NS10s, when I was involved (admittedly a good few years ago now) they were just used as a good average HiFi reference to see what a mix would sound like in an average living room, and something you could rely on as a standard in a variety of studios for that very purpose.

I assume the other monitors in this thread are of a similar caliber, as I have been away from the music biz for so long that pretty much everything has changed.  (TBH I am surprised how much is still the same, actually)

I would really like to get an understanding of how to make good use of the current range of compact studio monitors, if any of you would be kind enough to help with a few words of guidance.  Cheers  :)
    Forget trying to find NS10's now- no point- they aren't worth what people are paying for them and they are a pain to get spares for..
    The thing about NS 10's is few people used JUST the NS10's to mix.
    You use them in addition to other things- I had some JBL's and a couple of other sets.

They made you work hard though- if you could make a mix work well on the NS10's then you knew it would be pretty decent on anything.
    You needed a decent amp though, which trebled the cost of them.
    I had a Bryston 2B back in the day- it did the job really well.

Also, people used to listed to their music on home stereo speakers so it made sense to replicate that.
    They don't do that so much anymore- it is earbuds and car stereos more than anything.

Things have moved on greatly- the Adam, Dynaudio, Genelec monitors mentioned here are several orders of magnitude better than the NS10's.

If you want something down and dirty (and cheap) then check out the Avantone Mixcubes.
    Obviously in addition to some high quality monitors.

Good point about a decent amp with the NS10's. I use a big ol Yamaha P series amp which seems to be a good match 

Also it's not just the NS10's that were meant to be a good bookshelf speaker but ended up being great for mixing. I have a set of Goodman bookshelf speakers with concentric drivers that can out NS10 a set of NS10's when it comes to harsh mids. The other guys hate them so much though I'm not allowed to use them in the control room. I forget the middle number but you can see one on the end in this picture from my old garage studio :

Monitors are a bit like guitars in as much as there are bargains out there but you gotta look beyond the obvious brands and that requires a leap of faith if you can't read a review on the net. I know the Wharfedale Diamond active monitors I  brought (also in that pic) on the strength of a glowing SOS review were pretty bad for mixing in comparison to the Goodmans. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    What is that board? 
    Soundcraft?

Yeah Soundcraft Spirit Studio 32, brought it from a guy who worked with The Shamen

32 channels and I only used 2 of them for Protools in the box mixing :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:

Yeah Soundcraft Spirit Studio 32, brought it from a guy who worked with The Shamen

32 channels and I only used 2 of them for Protools in the box mixing :)
    I got rid of my old D&R4000 custom board when I came back from the US for the same reasons.

Nice board though, but I much prefer the ITB workflow.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    I have a pair of 8030a's and they sound fantastic. They are a little bright, and don't go as low as you'd think. Looking back I'd have gone for the next size up, or maybe get a sub with them. 

My mate has a set of Adams in the same price range, they do sound lovely with the ribbon tweeters.

Genelecs do seem bomb proof too!
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    I have a set of the old 1029s (which were replaced by the 8020 AFAIK.) Unfortunately, one of then has just stopped working so I'm going to have to look into how much it would cost to repair it, as I certainly can't afford a new pair.

What I really like about them is that both the bass and high frequency drivers are protected by strong metal grilles - I've been using them in a very cramped room and they've taken several knocks from the heads of guitars that would probably have caused serious damage to an unprotected speaker.

I have noticed that there is quite noticeable noise (hiss) from the power amps, even when no audio source is connected to them - though I don't think this was present when they were new. I guess the amps must have deteriorated somehow over the many years I have been using them.