Oh no, not another paisley telecaster build ...

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Yep, I'm afraid it is. But maybe a little bit different than the others.

I've always loved the look of the pink paisley telecasters, but never had the budget to justify getting one. This is my attempt to get somewhere near the look of one.

First off the usual preparation. It's a La Carbronita single pickup guitarbuild.co.uk body - courtesy of @drbob and the finish was pretty good. I've enlarged the pickup route to accept a p90, then sanded the whole body down all the way to 600 grit, three coats of sealer and a further 600 grit sand, gotta have a great surface for the primer coat. 

Now the important bit - the paisley. I've recreated an approximation of the pattern in Photoshop after studying the the original guitars. I could have probably got the lines a little sharper if I'd redrawn it in Illustrator, but that would have probably taken a few weeks of drawing. As it is the pattern looks great as is, so it's worked out OK for me.

I then sent the pattern to be printed onto self adhesive foil - not many companies do it to this scale, and it isn't cheap. (Cheaper than buying full CIJ guitar though!). I should also point out that the original foil would have been textured, so I've recreated a texture effect in the background of the image - hopefully you can see it on the pictures.

Here's a few pictures of the material on the body - next step is blending the edges to remove the step, and priming ...

Here's the body masked and primed as it is now. Still working out how I'm going to blend the pink burst around the edges, but I'm sure I'll come up with something!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    want it back now.... ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Oh Jesus Christ, not again!!!!

Oh alright, go on then.............   :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Nice work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Cool!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Well played sir! Seems i've started something by taking Jookys advice haha

I got the burst on mine by hanging it and then spraying the edge of the guitar at an angle. Quite nerve wracking though. My guitar building friend then rang me AFTER i'd sprayed it saying that if you can set up a rotating platform, you can just let it spin and spray at an angle to get a nice even finish...
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Nice work so far. :-)
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    How did this work out? :)
  • Using masking tape to do a burst finish will usually end in tears  easiest way to do a burst on one of these paisley bodies is to draw a template of the guitar body onto a piece of cardboard whatever size you want the burst cut inside of the outline of the template prop the template about 1 inch above the body then spray it ,this way you will get the feathered burst effect
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom