Chris Thile: I think I may have to reassess the Mandolin...

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6100
edited July 2014 in Acoustics
This chap is just superb, and monster player with a sly sense of humour. One of those wonderful finds that you chance upon when 'cruising  the tube'.  A real eye opener this:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2014
    He's amazing. Saw him with Nicklecreek a while back (before they split up and then reformed).

That was at the Wulfrum in Wolverhampton and for the encore they came about and played right at the front of the stage totally unplugged, everyone was as hushed as possible to hear them, but it sounded so great...a real shivers down the spine moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nickelcreek are amazing. Smoothie Song in particular. Very talented man. Isn't he generally regarded as one of the best Mandolin players on the planet?
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9702
    Yes he is very good, excellent in fact,  though I do find after a while that all mandolin solos essentially sound the same. I heard of him a few years ago when he covered a White Stripes song (he's sinced recorded with White for his record label actually) and I also learnt to play mandolin (a bit) with help from his instructional dvd borrowed from Birmingham library. The guy can certainly play!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    Saw them at the Fleece and Firkin, they did the acoustic unplugged then as well. Awesome musicians.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Its all about Mountain Dulcimers

This guy is pretty ace.

Old Is Gold
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4172

He did a duo album with Michael Daves called "Sleep With One Eye Open" which is one of the most outstanding examples of post-Monroe bluegrass mandolin playing (and guitar playing from Daves) you'll ever hear.

• I bought a second hand mandolin on the back of seeing Chris play. (I need LOTS more practice!)

It ain't as easy as he makes it look! They are however massively good fun & also INCREDIBLY portable- in its hard case mine is 2' long at best, great when trying to sneak it into a car already full of my toddlers accoutrements.
    The tuning takes some getting used to, and those reels are FAST, but once you get to grips with it they're great wee things to have around.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    He's one of the few musicians I've seen live that I would have no hesitation in calling "great". People like him are few and far between and just operate on another level to even very accomplished musicians. They seem to have simply absorbed music in it's entirety and can generate it in pretty much any style at any time.

Saw him do a solo gig a few years back - him, voice and mandolin. Riveting throughout and full of warmth and humour. 

I like it when he reins the monster technique in a bit. He writes some beautiful tunes.