I have a new machine. (Massive bender content)

What's Hot
Not for testing blood sugar- but for bending guitar sides.

LMI Bending Machine with 000 shoe.
Also bought the LMO 000 plan, acrylic template and mold.

This is for the 3rd year of my degree.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    How much do all that cost if you don't telling as.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    GSPBASSES said:
    How much do all that cost if you don't telling as.
    A fair bit- but the exchange rate is fairly favourable.
    The mold/acrylic/plan are fairly cheap- they match the shoe in the bender, which saves me quite a bit of time- I am trying to build two guitars this year so not having to make molds or bend by hand will save me weeks.

Bender is around $600 USD- so about £350.
    Replacement shoes are $50 or so, although I can easily make them out of MDF if I need to make another model or a shape they don't provide.
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 390
    edited July 2014
    benders don't normally get me excited, but thats pretty cool!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice one - will you be doing another projec thread for your final year?  I'd be very interested in following :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Noice.   I have nearly pulled the trigger on one a few times recently but I know i will end up making new molds every time i start a new project so am sticking to hand bending for now.

Although I did destroy some bloodwood sides the other day on the hand bender, I am fairly sure the bending machine would have worked better.   Oh well, I have another set of bloodwood to use ...and now some scraps to makes sure i get thicknesses, soaking time and bending temperature right for the next set 

I do have the old LMII blueprints for one of these,  maybe I should just make one.   
    edited July 2014

Nice one - will you be doing another projec thread for your final year?  I'd be very interested in following :)
    Most certainly- I'll be creating a new thread for it.

It is a 000 with rosewood back, sides, fingerboard, bridge etc.
    X braced, simple rosette but using machines as much as I can (hence the bender purchase).

I've already prepped the soundboard and back- they are jointed and thicknessed (on the gloriously named SANDMASTER 3000) and the sides are thicknessed and ready to go in the bender.
    I reckon the combination of the Sandmaster, LMI bender, LMI mold and acrylic will have saved me about 6 weeks all up.

Also, I'll be faster this time because I know a bit more about what I am doing.
    WezV said:
    Noice.   I have nearly pulled the trigger on one a few times recently but I know i will end up making new molds every time i start a new project so am sticking to hand bending for now.

Although I did destroy some bloodwood sides the other day on the hand bender, I am fairly sure the bending machine would have worked better.   Oh well, I have another set of bloodwood to use ...and now some scraps to makes sure i get thicknesses, soaking time and bending temperature right for the next set 

I do have the old LMII blueprints for one of these,  maybe I should just make one.   
    It is worth building although do yourself a favour and get the heating blanket and thermostat from LMI.
    It works a LOT better than using 100w globes, which the old styles ones use.

The reason I bought the whole kit is once I've bought the thermostat ($200) plus all the blankets/slats etc ($200) then it was only a bit more to get the full kit and save me time in the workshop once I have access again.
    Currently I don't any workshop access and all my tools are here at home.
    It is highly frustrating to not be able to do anything- I looked at renting a space but it is only for 3 months and everyone wanted a year commitment. 

Helpful video re the bending machine.

• Excellent, cannot wait!