Ed Obrien's PedalBoard Build

What's Hot
spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
If you're a Radiohead fan, or just a fan of awesome gear and pedalboards, this is worth a watch. ;-)

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I watched this earlier, it was awesome! Not a massive fan really but he seems like a real nice dude! Really informative video going step by step through the whole process
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Can't say I'm a fan but as a pedalboard building tutorial it's very useful.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    In the "good old days" (er... or something) of HCFX or Guitargeek, this thread would have been a veritable jizz firework display of Millenium proportions. Thanks for sharing it, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise - I am still a clueless bastard when it comes to Wet/Dry/Multiple Amp shit, but I really like Ed and have been a Radiohead fan for ages. The mosre bizarre they become the more I like them - the key is in the flange.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    Really interesting video and Ed seems like he's a decent chap rather than a rockstar ego.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    Really interesting video and Ed seems like he's a decent chap rather than a rockstar ego.
    He does what all of us do, like a kid at christmas, which is nice to see as well. 
    I would say he's the rock n rolling proof of millionaire stoner's being ace.... but he's acer than a lot of them.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Enjoyed that, nice one.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Great vid. Can't help thinking all that stuff dangling down and velcro'd upside down is truly gig worthy for an international touring band but a cracking insight into wiring up a complex board.
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Great board.
    My only issue is Dan's obsession with solderless cables.
    I see a future of constant sound check nightmares.
    For a board of that quality, why not fit soldered cable, despite the work involved.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Beautiful work

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    wolf5150 said:
    Great board.
    For a board of that quality, why not fit soldered cable, despite the work involved.
    I imagine they probably know what they're doing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Solderless cables will never stand up to a pro life on the road.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    JDE said:
    The mosre bizarre they become the more I like them - the key is in the flange.

Second time I've read that in a week and I'm now very much into flanging. A thread over at Gearslutz talked about putting a bit of flange over drum loops. I loaded up Ableton, started mucking around, and now I'm hooked. A bit of light flange on synths too works beautifully. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    wolf5150 said:
    They probably will if they're fixed on a pedalboard.

That said, I don't like them either. They're probably chosen for space reasons here - the only real alternatives for right-angle plugs are 'pancake' plugs, which have reliability problems even though they're soldered (because they're poorly made), Switchcrafts which also do, and Neutriks, which are much larger.

The advantage of a full loop-switching system like the Gig Rig is also that if a cable goes down it only takes out that particular effect and not the whole board, and it's then very easy to work out which one it is (choice of two).

Interesting video. I don't like Radiohead, but I do like Ed O'Brien, he seems like a nice chap and plays most of the parts I do like in their songs, as well as some good stuff with other people (Neil Finn). The fact that he uses Rickenbackers and Mesa Trem-o-verbs doesn't hurt either :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• allicioallicio Frets: 221
    wolf5150;288742" said:
    Great board.
    Ive just got the evidence audio kit that dans using. They won't fail. There absolutely rock solid once built. And as already mentioned I'm sure Dan knows how to build them!

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    wolf5150 said:
    Well, they obviously will if a band like Radiohead, who I believe have extensive touring experience, and a company like GigRig who have a reputation to protect are prepared to use them.
  • GeefreshGeefresh Frets: 6
    I always felt a bit sorry for Ed. There he was being the lead guitarist in a rock band and along comes the bassist's little brother who joins as mouth organ and keys player...but ends up being a complete guitar and musical genius and stealing his thunder, relegating him to head small parts player and knob twiddler.
    I don't think their songs would be half as good without those small parts and knob twiddling.

I live for knob twiddling.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    Geefresh said:
    I always felt a bit sorry for Ed. There he was being the lead guitarist in a rock band and along comes the bassist's little brother who joins as mouth organ and keys player...but ends up being a complete guitar and musical genius and stealing his thunder, relegating him to head small parts player and knob twiddler.

indeed. And frankly it's taken him a long time to get his bloody pedalboard sorted out. Perhaps now the next Rhead album will be an orgy of monster riffage

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1814
    edited July 2014
    ok, what Velcro are they using then, no, not a geek question I'm genuine!! my pedals just seem to fall off my PT....