What about money, touring bands and venues

What's Hot
TheDarkLordTheDarkLord Frets: 34
Something I've always been curious about.  I went to see my favourite pro touring band in a small venue last night.  It was packed .... about 500 people.  They usually play to the national "Guildhall" types venues ..... like The Brighton Dome, The Portsmouth Guildhall et.

How does that go financially?  I've always been curious, but, since I play in a pub band, I'm never likely to find out personally.

The band obviously sells tickets before the event (and t-shirts etc on the night).  The venue make bar sales and maybe food etc.  But who gets what?  How much does the band typically pay to hire the hall?  Do they do that?  Or how do the finances for such an event go in general?

Not looking for any trade secrets ....... as I will never be involved in it ..... just curious!
Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Hold on I'll find that Fish article that gave an interesting breakdown into the finances of a touring act playing that sort of size venue.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2014
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've just come out of a touring band doing 300-1000 cap venues. Usually the band is paid from the promoters money, not the bar. They'll usually pay the venue for a Merch pitch, but it's likely to be negotiated as part of the bands fee. We would go out for up to £800 a night, but after paying our crew, agent and management, we would be lucky if 50% went back into the band. We would all just keep our Prs earnings rather than taking cuts from live fees as bands at club level need constant cash flow for promotion, press and potential buy on packages
  • Aha.  Thank you.  The perfect answer.  Funny enough, I didn't check who's story this was until after I'd read the whole thing.  Very interesting.  That's a "name" performer too - albeit not greatly current.  If he struggles - then I can see it is difficult for those further down the food chain.

Good response.  Thank you.
    Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    timmysoft said:
    . We would all just keep our Prs earnings rather than taking cuts from live fees as bands at club level need constant cash flow for promotion, press and potential buy on packages

Can you clarify this? Do you mean you lived on what came in through PRS and the money from gigs went back into the bands cash pot? Thanks. Very interesting subject this :)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited July 2014
    Double post.
  • I think whether or not you are signed to a label make a big difference too. If you're on something like a '360 deal' then the label may take the majority of your merch earnings as-well as the show profits.

If you are with a booking agency who exclusively books all your shows. they will try to get you the best rate and will take a percentage of the booking guarantee and ticket sale profits.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    interesting thread and nice honest open article from Fish 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom