PRS S2 hollow bodys

What's Hot

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    MattG;289444" said:
    just a shame they haven't used the outline birds instead of the normal ones really otherwise I would have a hell of alot more kit for sale on here within the next few weeks...
    You can get it in dots if that helps.
    not on the customs thankfully xD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I also believe that PRS guitars are a step above every other big brand maker. Since taking delivery of a singlecut I now check the classifieds daily to find other. Ideally i would sell every other guitar i own and replace them withPRS
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26907
    These look great. Though I'd prefer toggle type switches on the Custom
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    what do you guys think?
    Speaking as a guy who owns and regularly gigs a full fat USA built PRS (an early Mira), owns a singlecut SE Soapbar, and gets to play MattG's SC245 on a fairly regular basis I'm not seeing anything there which makes me want to replace my (quite startingly good as @MattG can confirm) Indie IPR Hollowbody in a tearing hurry.

I am however intrigued by the idea of the hollow Mira S2 and still get serious GAS at the sight of the sparkly coloured Bigsby equipped semi hollow SE variant...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    I have to be honest, I don't really like the f-holes, they look too old fashioned on quite modern looking guitars.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Is it just me who finds the PRS stock photos of the S2 series to look like photoshopped/not real pictures?

It should be a good product for them.  I just wish they'd bring back the CE bolt on guitars, but I don't think they have any plans to.
  • I like it a lot. If I was to get a full on PRS I'd probably want birds and a fancy top (go big or go home) so it's awfully tempting.
    Give me dots or give me... well nothing I won't buy it if it has birds.   :))

Though I do think the outline birds look a lot nicer so I'm with Matt on that one.  I only ever use side dots anyway, my acoustic has nothing on the front of the fretboard and I love the clean and simple look.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have to be honest, I don't really like the f-holes, they look too old fashioned on quite modern looking guitars.
    Totally agree.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    edited July 2014
    I really like the look of your normal Mira, but, as others have said, on the semi hollow ones the f-holes look odd.

I find on smaller guitars, f-holes make the whole appearance look too "busy".

That said, I do like the slash type f-holes as found on the PRS SE Semi Hollow... I wish they'd used that shape of hole instead of the traditional f shape.

edited July 2014
     slash type f-holes 

Is he using PRS's now? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     slash type f-holes 

Is he using PRS's now? 

No, I think he means it looks like a Slash.

'twas a joke.

(that looks very much like a Rickenbacker slash hole. Hmm, not sure I like that either to be honest)
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    'twas a joke.

(that looks very much like a Rickenbacker slash hole. Hmm, not sure I like that either to be honest)
    Much better in this...

...form I think :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480

'twas a joke.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    edited July 2014
    MattG;289475" said:
    I've got an SC245 and it really seems to divide opinion, its my favourite guitar but some of my friends picked it up and just kind of went "meh"
    Without wishing to be rude to your friends, some people wouldn't know a good guitar if it hit them in the face.

There is a section of players who seem to have an inbuilt belief that everything cheap is vastly better that it actually is and that anything expensive is over-priced tat, which fooled the 'wealthy' owner into wasting their money.

I remember auditioning a singer with a band I was in some years ago. One walked in, squinted at the headstock of my guitar (it was a USA Schecter Strat-alike) and proclaimed,"Rich bitch".

He had no idea how high a proportion of my income went into my gear and how much I sacrificed to buy it. Yes it was expensive but rich I most certainly wasn't. Nor was I indescriminating or easily parted from my money.

I hate that kind of mentality. The worse kind of inverse snobbery.....
    Yeah.

Something being cheaper definitely does lower most people's expectations. It's very annoying when something is hyped to all get out and then you go and try it and wonder what the fuss is.

That being said, diminishing returns definitely apply as the price goes up- that £2000 guitar probably isn't twice as good as a £1000 one (though if it's even slightly better to you, and you're ok with the increase in quality compared to the increase in price, that's fair enough). Also, some things are better value in some countries than others- a Mesa in the UK isn't almost twice as good as one bought in the USA (LOL), so the price isn't the only deciding factor as to whether something is good or not. Plus some stuff is better value than others, as well, I'd say. And there are definitely some chancers about (e.g. the freekish thing)- some of the most expensive and hyped "bootweak" stuff is arguably less good as the price goes up! :))

Er... Yeah. I guess I'd say that some of the inverse snobs are annoying, but so are some of the golden ears brigade. Like most things you kind of have to judge each case on its own merits (plus a lot of it is subjective, too).

I will say, though, that what annoys me is when someone who has a custom shop "working man's" Gibson (which still costs as much as a PRS) calls a PRS a "Dentists' guitar". Screw that. The price is what makes it exclusive, don't try to kid yourself that you're any less elitist. (You can of course prefer that Gibson; that's a totally different thing. But people who live in glass houses probably shouldn't throw stones, either.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Those inverse snobbery types are usually boring to chat gear with anyway.  Most of the ones I meet haven't even tried the stuff they're slating - but you'll have to quiz them to find out, since they'll be talking like they've tried hundreds...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    RocknRollDave;289788" said:
    I really like the look of your normal Mira, but, as others have said, on the semi hollow ones the f-holes look odd.

I find on smaller guitars, f-holes make the whole appearance look too "busy".

That said, I do like the slash type f-holes as found on the PRS SE Semi Hollow... I wish they'd used that shape of hole instead of the traditional f shape.
    +1 on all that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SteadhockSteadhock Frets: 4
    I'm a huge, huge fan of PRS but I have to say the S2 series in general leaves me very cold. Just bring back the CE, dangit! I love the PRS doublecut but that bevelled top takes an awful lot of the class away IMO, and while I can understand it on an SE (even if they are getting a little pricey nowadays), I just can't justify spending over a grand on one. And like others have said, I personally much prefer the 'outline' birds rather than the more blingy alternative. 

Having said all that's they're still fantastic guitars - it's just that I would personally take a pre-owned CE over one of these in a heartbeat. Really, really wish PRS would bring back a nice modern version of that...