NPD EHX 2880

frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
So lets start off by saying I've discovered I am just dreadful with most loopers and mini studios - rc-2, rc-30, Boss Micro BR, Tascam Portastudio 4...

Dreadful in the sense that I can't keep all the information in my head whilst I'm using it. The RC-30 has been the easiest to use - till now...

The reason I wanted the 2880 was it has a midi sync and unlike the RC50 it doesn't seem to have issues. So 2880 and foot controller connected to the Linn III...

The fruit of last nights labours was Kashmir by Led Zep - bass, guitar part on track 1, "drums" on 2 (my slapping the neck) and track 3 the verse track 4 chorus. I spent ages cross fading verse to chorus and back again ...

I miss the cool effects on the RC-30 - the phase stuff and the storage of stacks of loops - it's one loop stored on a compact flash - state of the art in 1994! I also miss the XLR in for mics, the RC30 has.

I'd like tone controls on the tracks too - listen to any daft punk and you find the tonal quality changes on tracks a lot.

In the future when I'm allowed to buy things again I want to use midi to synch the Linn to the 2880 - ideally the other way around as the Linn tap tempo reads out the BPM and is tune-able. I want to use the sound tower software to tweak the Linn sound patches...

Another thing I was a bit disappointed by was the loops are all the same lengths.. I'd like to set a click track in one bar then have a bass line of 2 bars repeated, then a rhythm of 4 bars seems the Boomerang is the only thing to do that kinda thing.
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Well I got the midi synch working really easily, set the Linn III to transmit clock signals and the 2880 to recieve (press the ext clock button) and I get tap tempo on the Linn with fine tuning and a metronome read-out. So that rules.

I've disabled the drum preset changing on the Linn when the effect patch changes as this was leading to some awesome changes in loops getting quantized to the new preset.

I've configured the drums to be left and right on the Linn and so I can sync to drumbeats but have a seperate out.

Just in case anyone is interested in this configuration ;)

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    I don't see myself ever buying one, but I still find this interesting.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I guess you get all sort of midi john-foolery hooking the boss slicer up to stuff :)
  • Hi, I've been doing something similar with my AdrenaLinn, Electribe ER and using SooperLooper on the laptop. It works great but I find it hard to get the initial loop to be the correct multiple of beats reliably. Just requires practice I guess, are you getting on OK with that?
  • frankus said:
    I guess you get all sort of midi john-foolery hooking the boss slicer up to stuff :)
    You can do some cool stuff in that vain with the AdrenaLinn which is actually more flexible than the Slicer.
    Hi, the 2880 has a quantize button - hit that after the first beat and it'll stop the loop after beat 4.

But the whole looping thing is taking practice.
  • Yeah. SooperLooper can also quantise to beats but it's still quite the skill to get it to line up exactly with MIDI clock.
    not sure I understand, the loops are quantised to the nearest bar, the Linn uses a 2 bar midi sequence, the Linn sends the clock tempo and start point to the 2880.
  • In Sooper Looper, you can quantise the what ever you like. I've been trying to use 8th notes which is probably why it's been such a pain. I should probably just admit defeat and switch to bars...