best place to by Nitro cans?

What's Hot
Best/cheapest place to by from in the UK?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Get them from The Manchester Guitar Tech, Steve Robinson. He has an online store at http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/

Excellent tech and one of the nicest guys you'll ever deal with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Northwest Guitars and Rothko & Frost also do them, but quite agree on Manc-Chap, top fella and happy to help :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Let me know if I can be of any assistance! 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Ahh yes, I ordered from you last time Steve - I couldn't remember! I'll put something through on the website.

Just trying to decide, Vintage white or olympic white ....
    tFB Trader
    Thanks, the Oly White is very white, Vintage White is cream/ivory of course. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    The White Blonde. Nice.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Hey there @SteveRobinson, this is probably a dumb question, but what are the two colour patches for each sample doing ?
    I assume one is full can colour and the other is either natural ageing simulation, or yellowed with a tinted clear, maybe ?  Cheers.

tFB Trader
    Yes, the right hand side is supposed to show the effect of overspraying a tinted lacquer. 

It does cause some confusion and it might be better done away with.
    Cheers  @SteveRobinson,  I thought I had missed something explaining it on your site.  Thanks for your explanation.  It has a valid reason to be there if you understand how to use it IMO.

I should also have asked how to specify a custom colour, and how close to expect the finish to be ?

How does your range compare to old style nitro ?

edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    This page http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/nitrocellulose-lacquer/  has the explanation

"Please note that where the lacquer colour shows a darker shade on the right hand side, it represents the colour of the lacquer when sprayed over with my Light Tint Gloss clearcoat."

The shop software I'm using has no easy facility to add text to the catalogue pages.

If you want something special mixing then it's best to supply a physical object that can be scanned. Computer images aren't much use unfortunately.

Compare in what way? It's proper nitrocellulose, no pre-cat shenanigans, but it does contain some UV block to inhibit yellowing. The clear top coat will craze if you temperature shock it (in a freezer say) but generally not in normal, stable environments. 
    Brilliant, that's a very useful link, thanks again @SteveRobinson, I came straight in on your catalogue page from the very useful link posted earlier in this discussion.  I will take some time out and explore your site a bit more.

By compare, I was meaning 60s or 70 stylee nitro, which seems a very different animal to the likes of Gibson's current usage.
    Which I assume is plasticisers an who knows what other additives or exclusions / substitutions to comply with legal restrictions in whichever market.  My 2005 CS has a finish which is more like an extremely viscous liquid than a hard lacquer which my 60s and 70s Gibsons from my "past life" had.  BTW, whats pre-cat ?  There are so many hybrid factory finishes too.  So do I take it that your nitro cans are the familiar old skool nitro ?

edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    Yes, it dries hard and glassy, not soft and rubbery like the stuff Gibson use these days!  :)

"Pre-cat" is short for pre-catalysed. Whereas lacquer dries by evaporation and can be re-dissolved in solvent, a catalysed finish undergoes a chemical cure (so not a true lacquer.)  It can be tougher, but is harder to work with than true nitro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @SteveRobinson, it's good to have you around   :)

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Hi @SteveRobinson, not wanting to dera this thread too much but, just wondering, could one spray a clear coat of 'proper' nitro over a current Gibson 'rubber' coat nitro and get it to harden off like a 50's finish or would it melt into the original finish and end up in a dogs breakfast?!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Yes, the right hand side is supposed to show the effect of overspraying a tinted lacquer. 

It does cause some confusion and it might be better done away with.
    I hope it stays. I wasn't confused and I am always interested in the tinted option.
    tFB Trader
    I imagine that the harder (more brittle) layer would soon craze as the softer original finish moved underneath it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Leave the split tone patches on the colour charts @SteveRobinson, I think they're very useful mate.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    +1 for @steverobinson, a nice chap. I bought a Banzai Fireball overdrive off him a couple of years ago. Everybody says he's the go to guy for nitro.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    edited July 2014
    Back on the subject of colour matching @SteveRobinson

I assume that it is possible to specify Pantone colours ?

Or supply the tri-stimulus values from a spectrophotometer ?

Not sure how my missus would feel about me sending in her favourite purple lingerie...  (only kidding)    ;)

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited July 2014
    Yes, it dries hard and glassy, not soft and rubbery like the stuff Gibson use these days!  :)

I can vouch for that. I've used both the clear and the vintage yellowy tint lacquer for two necks a Strat and a Tele. I always find Gibson necks 'sticky' but these two are great, and its great stuff to work with.