Boss amps?! :/

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Only the 80w has the trem - I'd assumed they were modelling amps but reading about them elsewhere the assumption is SS, apparently the old Blues Cubes were SS.
    Summer NAMM doesnt start for 2 days so Roland/ Boss seem to have timed their news well to get the publicity!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    so -  what's the deal with the Blues Driver 2??  - and did they really think a moody teen who's only just needing to shave would be a good blues mojo for the amp (although it looked like he was there more for the Les Paul)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    So it's digital but it has a power control to reduce the wattage. Surely on an amp like this, the master volume will do the trick for cranked sounds at low volumes.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Babones said:
    So it's digital but it has a power control to reduce the wattage. Surely on an amp like this, the master volume will do the trick for cranked sounds at low volumes.
    the whole point of master volumes is to get power amp valve distortion at manageable levels, whats the point in doing this with no power amp valves?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    A shitload of money for a horrible looking amp
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Roland have released a promo video.

Not sure what to make of it, doesn't sound bad but fairly generic. Difficult to know from this clip though.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9701
    "doesn't sound bad but fairly generic"

Isn't that the case for most Boss products?

Oof controversial
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Sounds alrightish to me. 

If it wasn't a stupid price I'd quite like one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Me too, have a Wisdom

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    "doesn't sound bad but fairly generic"

Finally an amp that matches my playing!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    ^ :)) Mine too >:D<
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Looks like they've based the styling a bit on their old Roland Blues Cubes (BC 30 & 60). They were great solid state amps endorsed by George Benson and Al DI Meola. As good as they were, they were priced too high and looks like these might be too. Used BC prices offer great bargains.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    I really like the feature set, pretty much my ideal amp configuration - although independent EQ would have been nice.

I think you should forget that it doesn't have valves in and compare the tone and build quality to other amps in that price range. If it's at least equal on both counts then it's fair value. If it has a ply cab it's already one up on the Fender/Peavey/Laney equivalents...

Unfortunately I can't listen to the demo properly at the moment - on holiday so no decent speakers - but I will when I get the chance.

I think it looks fine, although I'm not a big fan of top-mounted controls or amps with 'Blues' in the model name.

The last series of Roland digital amps didn't sell because they were crap - they didn't actually look *that* bad, I thought... but I tried them and couldn't get one decent sound out of them, and the claimed power outputs were BS.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343

quite like the styling but like to see it in the flesh, and hear it. don't care if its valves or trannies, if it sounds good. seems pricey but im sure deals can be done.

• It sounds alright in the demo, actually. To be fair, I've heard Dumble and clone demos where I think, 'yeah, sounds alright, not that exciting' so I'm probably not a great tone hound for low and mid gain stuff.

Problem is, a however good it is, I feel that guitarists will think it's just a modelling amp that should be cheap. Because t00bs are better man.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Some more videos coming out...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    There's just something cool about a chunky old guy like that when they kick back in their big chair with a big old semi-hollow and just knock out some blues licks... every time, like it never gets old. And they just look like they're getting a kick out of it.

It looks like a cool little amp actually. I'd buy one for ornamental purposes :P

Nah I'd play it. It seems alright hey? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107

Problem is, a however good it is, I feel that guitarists will think it's just a modelling amp that should be cheap. Because t00bs are better man.
    Plenty of guitarists don't think modelling amps should be cheap. Kemper, Axe FX etc. 
    The last series of Roland digital amps didn't sell because they were crap - they didn't actually look *that* bad, I thought... but I tried them and couldn't get one decent sound out of them, and the claimed power outputs were BS.
    @ICBM. Are you talking abotu the Roland GA amps? I had the GA212 and it was a deeply flawed amp. Overpriced, some very cheap elements, the cab was ridiculously heavy, and it was a big disappointment. 

• dano91dano91 Frets: 24
    Dolphin have the 60w on pre order for £439. If that included the foot switch super but taking it over £500 would produce a sharp intake of breath.
    We sure do! I can confirm that the footswitch is 'optional' which means it would be £524 for the 60W & Footswitch.

My impressions so far is that they will be a good little amp with plenty of positives, but whether they are good enough to justify a switch from valve is another question completely. If they sound as good as a valve, it's a bargain around £500. But will they sound as good? :)