Fake gretsch?

What's Hot
Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
I'm 99% certain this is a fake

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261534563573

No serial on back of neck, seller says trem has been changed, fuzzy pics.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Wrong tuners I think.
    I'll add I am not a gretsch expert at all.....
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    edited July 2014
    I say bullshit. Tuners are wrong as you say. If it was a genuine G6119, I'm pretty sure they use a Bigsby B6 vibrato. The customised guitar here shows what appears to be a Bigsby B700. I can't see any reason why you'd take it off. 

The serial number is JT14031086. From what I understand, that means this guitar claims to have been made in 2014 in the month of March. The current retail price is over £2,000. So made in March 2014, somehow gets a damaged Bigsby, gets some modding done to it, and up for sale in July for peanuts? No fucking way. 

And no decent player in their right mind pays £2k for a Gretsch to stick it through a Marshall MG50 with a cheap cable like that :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3297
    Thumb nails are huge too. Body is way off as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wooden bridge base is totally wrong shape too.
    If it's too good to be true it probably is......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Apart from the fact it's the wrong shape, looks great.......
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader

Body is wrong shape as is scratchplate, pickups seem to be el cheapo Filter-not-very-alikes, trem should be a V-cut B6C and only a looney would screw a tension-bar one, let alone a B700, onto a proline, it's way too cheap,it's got an action you could park a bus under. Apart from that, it's cool !

• MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Body is too slim, tuners wrong, knobs are wrong, the jack socket is wrong, incorrect knob layout (only Dynasonic equipped pro line Gretsches have single upper bout control), thumb nails markers wrong, bridge base wrong, pickups are cheap humbucker sized Filtertron knock-offs, and of course, knock off Bigsby.   

It is, however, one of the best fakes I've seen, and looks well made.  And, being a complete Gretsch nut, the only one i've ever had to look twice at.

It could make a nice project, but as with all knockoff Gretsches, it could fall apart at any time, as you have no idea if it's properly braced.

Marlin
    Someone just bought it for £350.....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Those thumbnails look ridiculous.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    TheMarlin said:

It could make a nice project, but as with all Gretsches, it could fall apart at any time, as you have no idea if it's properly braced.

Marlin
    Quote Amended....As a vintage Gretsch owner, this statement also applied to real old ones LOL
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    You know what, some of the 'vintage' snobs really get on my nerves.  I've played some old Gretsches that were complete dogs. Every modern Gretsch I've played has pretty much rocked out of the box.  It's like the Gretsch vintage snobs have their fingers in their ears, shouting 'la la la, not listening' ....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    You know what, some of the 'vintage' snobs really get on my nerves.  I've played some old Gretsches that were complete dogs. Every modern Gretsch I've played has pretty much rocked out of the box.  It's like the Gretsch vintage snobs have their fingers in their ears, shouting 'la la la, not listening' ....
    Yup. Id buy any new gretsch without playing it first. Never with anything pre late 90s
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    TheMarlin said:

I guess it equates with people who prefer original old cars with drum brakes, bad handling, hoods that take half an hour to put up etc etc.

It's the feel of the old stuff that some people love. Practicality has no place there.   

Personally I fully understand that. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Hey Paul..! see you this eve :D  Didn't know you were here..

I'm one o'those, can't stand modern cars, mobile sensory deprivation tanks to me. And I can change a lightbulb without needing a trip to the garage :) But mostly the modern Gretsches are better, and way more consistently good.

There's something nice about an old Gretsch as with any guitar, but too many have crumbling binding and need neck resets and so on. When I was starting out (70s) Gretsch had a terrible rep for quality. The modern era turned that right around. 4 in the house at the mo, two mine and two are Marlin's, they're all fine playing things.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Complete fake.

AFAIK Gretsch don't make a non-"Tennessee Rose" model G6119. It doesn't even look like a modified electromatic.

Random Chinese fake.

Someone should report it to ebay
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Someone bought it first!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    TheMarlin;295312" said:
    Body is too slim, tuners wrong, knobs are wrong, the jack socket is wrong, incorrect knob layout (only Dynasonic equipped pro line Gretsches have single upper bout control), thumb nails markers wrong, bridge base wrong, pickups are cheap humbucker sized Filtertron knock-offs, and of course, knock off Bigsby.   
    My Gretsch (a 90's one) has a single upper bout control and Filtertrons. 

Agree with everything else it's well fishy and the wrong shape.