Heads Up - Great Bugera Amp deal £179

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
edited July 2014 in Amps

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I was tempted by this i must say but was slightly worried about reliability for gigging.

Also not sure the overdriven tone was really my thing

Looks lovely though it think
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
    Cheap as chips. Probably worth a punt.  Stick some better valves in there and it's probably not too bad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    edited July 2014
    Even some of the infiniums (the 6260 and 1960) are around the £260 mark on Thomann etc.

How bad are the Bugeras, really? I know there have been all those jokes about Bugerextinguishers etc. from the first run, but yeah. I mean you don't want to buy something which is always broken, even if it has a warranty... but those prices are tempting (especially with the infinium circuit, assuming it actually works and assuming it's not something else to go wrong).
  • With the 6505 clones, it's better to save for the import peavey combo tbh. I'd trust the build a wee bit more.

But yeah, I'd be interested to hear what the build is like. They do a triple rec! A triple rec!
    edited July 2014
    Yeah. I don't have room for a combo. :)) And the infinium thing (if it works and doesn't make it (even) more unreliable :)) ) is pretty handy too.

But yeah I'd be interested to hear just how bad they are- how much of it is true (the going on fire thing was, but they fixed it fairly sharpish I think), and how much of it is just internet joshing*. Thomann used to list failure rates but they don't seem to any more- IIRC it was a little worse than the manufacturers with good reliability, but not that much worse, either. But I could be misremembering. And I'm not sure how much I'd trust those figures, anyway- they might not flag up annoying minor niggles, and also might not take into account people who got pissed off and decided to cut their losses, etc. etc.

* To clarify, I'm not getting on a high horse here or anything, those Bugera jokes are hilarious, and I make them all the time too.
  • Yeah, that's true. But you can rip the unit out and make a head shell, which is what I'd do (that much gain in the same box as a speaker would worry me!).
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    would you go this or the Jet City JCA22H though??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    It does look great though.
    Yeah, that's true. But you can rip the unit out and make a head shell, which is what I'd do (that much gain in the same box as a speaker would worry me!).
    You haven't seen me attempting DIY...
    57Deluxe said:
    would you go this or the Jet City JCA22H though??
    The Jet City... if I didn't already have the Jet City 50 watt head. :)) Also I'm guessing they're aimed at very different tones (I haven't seen a schematic but the marketing screed on the Bugera site suggests it might be based on a Blackface Fender).