Anyone have any experience with Mackie SRM450 v2s?

guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
Any long term user reports, or general feelings about the Mackie SRM450 V2s?

DV247 are selling them at £289 per speaker, we were thinking it would make sense to grab one or two for vocal PA if we ever manage to find a permanent room to rent.  They have them at one of the studios we use for rehearsal and they seem plenty loud enough for vocals when we're using a pair of them.  But I have no long term knowledge of what they're like, and to be honest have never even heard them without my earplugs in.

They'd pretty much be getting used for vocals (lead and backing singer), at most an acoustic guitar or two.  A pair of them would surely be powerful enough for that?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have owned and used a set of SRM450s (Version 1s) for years, Everything from acoustic duo to full on 8 piece Ska/Reggae (albeit not mine) band and they have been loud enough, and I have had many compliments from audience members about the way that they sound. I have heard that the V2s are physically lighter and not made as well as the V1s but the people I know who own the v2s have never had any reliability issues. I think mainly the problems have been due to the speakers overheating (correct me if I'm wrong). I have run weekly open mic nights using the SRM450s (v1) and they have been great, the 3 other people I know with SRM450 v2s do similarly without an issue. I have had the V1s in a room with 250 people and they were loud enough for that... and could have even been pushed harder. Hope that Helps!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402

The V2's are class D so yes lighter. We have ver 1 and 2's here, for cheap speakers they are ok and that's a good price I think

The overheating on the version 1 is easy enough to avoid as long as you keep em vented properly. It can be a problem outside in very hot weather but normally no problems indoors.  The more efficient v2 design doesn't get so hot
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Thanks guys.  Yes the price looks decent for new, not sure how confident we are with buying used PA gear hence the interest in this deal.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I was recently looking at speakers in this price range.  I ended up getting a pair of EV ZLX 12Ps.  They were recommended over the Mackies by a guy in a shop that stocks both.  I'm very impressed with them so far.

Thomann are doing a crazy price on them as well:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_zlx_12p.htm

Unfortunately couldn't find anyone in the UK willing to go under £299.

Thomann were advertising a V3 of the 10 inch Mackie SRM for mid-August delivery.  I'd assume that there will be a V3 of the 12 inch version as well.  It might be worth waiting for the V3 (the 10" one is 1000W!) or you might be able to find blow out end of line deals on the V2 as the V3 comes into stock.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Those EV's on Thomann are a steal, either those or the Mackies will be more than good enough, personally would go for the EV's 
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    We use the 350's and find them really good if I had any more space I would grab a couple of the 450's they are great value at the mo.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    I think my mate has those EVs, didn't realise they were that cheap. I'll have to ask him.