Valve suppliers?

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
I am looking for some cheap ECC83's for my VC30.

Hot Rox have some JJ's for £7.45 but never used them.

Any others you could recommend?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've bought from Karltone a couple of times recently, good service and not expensive (I think he's on here as well)

I've also bought from Watford in the past with no complaints, although he does seem to wind some people up and you have to watch out for the ex-vat prices on the web.

JJs sound fine to me, are cheap and have a reputation for reliability. Some people aren't keen on the sound though.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3311
    JJs are great. You wont get better for the money.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    JJs are great. You wont get better for the money.

JJ's are fine but I've just got in from band rehearsal where I replaced the 3 JJ's in my Marshall JCM 800 with Tungsol's. The difference was clearly noticeable. The Tungsol's have slightly more drive but where they really beat the JJ's  is on clarity, the amp sounded much better as a result and a little less harsh.

PS I purchased them from Karltone. I've used him a number of times and the service is first class.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    edited July 2014
    In my opinion both EH and any bog-standard Chinese ECC83 sound much better than JJs and are no less reliable, as well as being similar priced.

I like JJ power valves but I'm really not a fan of their preamps. They sound an odd combination of harsh and muddy at the same time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    ICBM said:

I like JJ power valves but I'm really not a fan of their preamps. They sound an odd combination of harsh and muddy at the same time.
    Yes, from my experience this is spot on.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Thank you.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I've generally preferred JJ preamp valves to EH in most amps I've used them in.  I think it is a matter of personal taste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    No idea

But I order mine from here. Good service

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I just bought a quad of Brimar 6V6s and a GE 12AX7 from Watford Valves - feeling flush so I figured a little glass bank account whose value can only go up might be an interesting idea.
    Derek has wound me up in the past - I try to buy from other people where I can, but he seems to be the only person in this country supplying *tested* obscure NOS stuff. His range of said old stuff has decreased dramatically compared to the last time I was looking at Watford Valves though - rather sad, and part of the reason I decided to stock up while I can.

If you want NOS rectifiers, Langrex seem to be a far better bet. They mainly deal in bulk to other suppliers and their website is accordingly basic and trade-oriented, but they were happy to sell me a couple of NOS 5U4GBs. (If anyone wants to swap one for a 5V4, I'd be very interested!)