SG neck join....

What's Hot
Now, I'm guessing it gonna look a bit weird and Gibson do an LP DC anyway but, for me, the neck join on the SG is too far "left". Spoils the playability and ergonomics for me.

So, not so much modifying one as building one and I've never used photoshop! 

A 16th or 18th fret neck join and associated bridge relocation would be a good/bad idea?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    That looks to me like the way the Gear for Music kit SG works (except it is bolt on rather than set)

You do loose access to the upper frets by doing this though.

The slight offset in the Vintage (brand) design for their SG-a-like is probably a better solution, or the LTD versions.

Personally, I love the fact that the whole neck on an SG is laid out right in front of you with nothing to encumber access.  Especially so with the 60s style joint.  It is just a bit different.  You do get used to it too.

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I've had 4 of them over the years and just couldn't get confy with one. I really tried, especially with this one.....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/DSC00818.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    Gibson made them with a deeper-set neck in the 70s. Most SG purists don't like them much, and they're not too expensive by vintage standards.

I prefer them physically to play, but they don't look or sound quite right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom