Yamaha SGs - Experiences, advice needed

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
I'm new to playing the SG shape after 20 odd years...i like the idea of a beefer bodied SG like the Yamaha, but i know absolutely nothing about them.

What's the deal with the different model numbers, neck profiles, pickups, weight, years, country of origin etc...?

And generally people who have or have had them, what did you think ?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    They are beautiful instruments.

Tonally speaking along the lines of a Les Paul. Powerful guitars.

Heavy.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I have an SG2000, bought 2007-ish

straight thru neck (maple/mahog layers); ebony fingerboard; mahog body with maple cap.

almost as heavy as my LP Std, more sustain, better hi fret access. tone is a little more "polite" than the LP but it still rocks out. Controls exactly where you want them, coil splits on the tone pots get you a wide variety of sounds in addition to what you'd expect from a guitar that put the wind up Gibson in the LP-competition stakes. 

It's the guitar Gibson should have built, but didn't. A luxury guitar. Summary 'kin excellent, get one!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    I know the OP is after owner's experience - so I'm cheating.

I played one of these when Santana was using one (late 70s). It was fantastic but vastly beyond my reach at the time (about £500 IIRC!)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited July 2014
    I had a 2000S in the mid-80s and not too dissimilar to the one above. Great player and full sound with decent and usable coil-tapped sounds and a good workhorse. I had a few tuning issues with mine that I never got to the bottom of. Weird considering it didn't have a trem, intonation appeared fine and it was bought from new (£550) but I only had it for 6mths and got rid of it because it weighed too much and I switched to Strats.
    Lovely and well-made guitar though and worth a pretty penny now. I think mine was top of the range or was there a 3000? The 500s were good and they did trem versions on some models denoted by the letter T. IMPO,  it's a high quality Les Paul with more versatility.
    @McToot has a nice Yamaha SG
    Other famous users (McToot is famous in my book) were Stuart Adamson (Skids and Big Country), Carlos Santana (listen to the Moonflower album), John McGeoch (Souxie & The Banshees), Bill Nelson and on occasion, Snowy White during his Thin Lizzy period.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited July 2014
    Had a few Yamaha SG's over the years from the 200, 450, 1200s(all made in Taiwan) All had Slim necks. The 2000s/2100s(MIJ)  the 2000s and 2100s were beautifully built and finished guitars. models 2000 and above are neck through body(totally, not just set neck like the SG1000/ Les Paul etc) 3 piece mahogany/maple neck, ebony board with mop split arrow markers. The neck on the SG 2000s I had was quite chunky and rounded, which I liked, spinex pickups with push/push coil taps on the tone pots(so quite versatile), I eventually sold it (somewhat reluctantly) because it really was very! heavy. The rest went with gas. (brother still has the SG450 stashed/unused) I have some SG1500 hardware in the parts drawer, that fits the 2000, from when I changed from gold to chrome/then back to gold to sell on.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    I've had an SG1000 in the past. 

Despite the name it's not like a Gibson SG and is much closer to an LP Custom in sound construction and feel.

They are great guitars and the 1000 especially is an absolute SH bargain.

The only downside really is the tendency to neck dive and the weight.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    I've had 3 or 4 SG's - 1000's and 3000's - stunning guitars! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    I have had a SG400 from new - 1982.
    Ace.
    Neck is slim-ish as said above.
    Go for early 80s if you can - the higher the number the better the spec is a good rule of thumb.
    They do pop up on the bay.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited July 2014
    Kebabkid said:

@McToot has a nice Yamaha SG
    Other famous users (McToot is famous in my book) were...

As my old Spanish granny would say: "famous in his own house, but only around supper time"...

My SG is a late 1980 1000 - nowhere near as dear as the 2000s and 3000s but very nice.  I'd echo what has already been said - superb build quality, uber flexible with the coil taps (in my case the neck pickup is awesome clean, tapped and un-tapped), heavy (mine's 9.5lbs, but feels more).  The neck is slimmish for a big heavy guitar, but pretty comfy.  I'm not familiar with Gibson 60s profile so can't compare, but its way smaller than a 59 profile. 

Ironically, despite it's qualities and the fact that I had wanted one since I was 13 (ie 30+ years ago), mine seems to sit in its case too much.  My GAS-addict side keeps eyeing it up as collateral for more spending...

Mine's here (front left) in a recent, but already woefully out of date family snap:image

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Ive owned a few over the years & always ended up selling them. The neck profile is similar to an LP Custom with the flatter fingerboard. They are usually really overbuilt. A word of warning, if they've been stored anywhere damp, the finish layers sperate internally & you can get a clouding effect on the finish. Good guitars though
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Fantastic guitars - as has been said, closer to a LP Custom in tone than an SG and if you have any back issues, don't even think about it... I sold mine reluctantly when it was clear it was compounding the disc issues in my neck and back. I regret it...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    I've owned an '81 SG2000 - these were all made in Japan and are getting rarer by the day. Due to mine not having the coil taps, it was a transition (T) model, as in the 80's the name changed to SG2000s or SBG2000 and the fur inside the case also changed from brown to green. The cases were consistently made by Nippon Gakki up to production end in '88, then I think they changed to Hiscox for the Reissues. '76 to '79 characteristics include:

3 Piece Maple Top Distinct to the Takabayashi Factory Originals.
    Visible 20mm Maple Through Neck/Body Stripe.
    Brown Plush Fur inside its Hardshell Case.
    No coil tap option.
    Truss Rod Cover - SG2000 not SG2000S
    Serial Numbers begin with 0044 instead of 0404 (as did my '81)

The neck profiles are slim 60's Gibson-esque; if anyone tell you they're 'chunky' THEY LIE!! The reason I moved mine on was due to the front to back of the nut/1st fret being extremely slim!! On a 2000 this doesn't matter, as it's a solid 3 piece through neck with solid ebony fingerboard, whereas the 1000 is a traditional set neck. The neck profiles are all the same, there's no variation between SG models.

The thru neck body is 7 piece (mahog/mahog/mahog/maple/mahog/mahog/mahog) and there is a piece of maple in transition between the ebony fingerboard and the neck. 

The 2000 is seriously heavy (10lbs+) and you will need a very wide leather strap, due to the fact that underneath the bridge is a solid brass 'sustain block'.

Regarding the original alnico V pickups - if they're original, then they'll have one coil of exposed bobbins and one with black plastic circle facings (if that makes sense). Many change the stock pickups, but I saw no reason to; they're clearer/more open than PAFs and excel at 80s rock/punk.

Reissues ran from 2003 until 2006 and then Yamaha changed to these new SG1820, SG1802 and so on. They also got rid of the rib cage contour, which is essential if your a jazzer!!! Supposedly it was to add more bass response.

Personally I loved my Yammy SG, as every time I played Skynyrd, I got a tingly sensation in the jewels and I'm currently on the hunt for a SG2000 in 'Museum Condition'. I'd never buy a Gibson SG, because they feel fragile and sound too 'fizzy' to my ears.

Choice of colours: Cherryburst, Brown Sunburst, Black or Jade Green.

Famous Players: Santana, Neil Schon (Journey), Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy), Bob Marley, Stuart Adamson (The Skids/Big Country), Soren Anderson (Glenn Hughes Band), Bill Nelson (Beebop Deluxe), Midge Ure (Ultravox) and John McGeoch (Siouxsie and the Banshees).

So nice! 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    This was my reason for owning one... and its still one of my fave songs ever...

Much more modern version - but gives a much better impression of the girth of the sound from one of these incredible guitars. The 'wrong' guitarist, maybe but Devoto is even more unhinged these days...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited July 2014
    Here is the data from my 1985 Yamaha brochure... we was spoilt for SG choices back then! I opted for a nice SG2000s in the end and still have it (below)...although seems I was also eyeing a SG450 to save a few quid to put towards my Gibson 335 kitty!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271541610261

I think it's a 2003 re-issue. If you can get him down on price to just north of £400 say you might have a real nice guitar for the dosh complete with a Hiscox case.

I don't like gold hardware but it looks ok on this one!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    thanks Steve that is nice, i'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, just doing a bit of research

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Iamnobody said:
    I have no experience but you could make a cheeky offer on this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271541610261

I think it's a 2003 re-issue. If you can get him down on price to just north of £400 say you might have a real nice guitar for the dosh complete with a Hiscox case.

I don't like gold hardware but it looks ok on this one!
    I was looking at this too...i love the Yammi SG's...never owned one, but have been gassing for one ever since i played a SG1000 in a shop. There are more affordable versions...but I can't bring myself to buy anything but a tobacco burst SG1000.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    the 1000 doesn't have the tru neck. you neeed a 2000
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself