3 way switch question?

So I'm putting together a Partscater, but being cheap Im using parts I already have. The guitar will be 3 pickup ala Strat, I have a spare Tele 3 position switch, can it be wired to give, Bridge, Middle and Middle and Neck? with 2 tones ala Strat. If it is possible a diagram or link to one would be fab! Thank you! Paul
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Just follow a normal Strat wiring diagram. 

Fender used 3-way switching until 1976 and the switch is wired identically, the only difference being the switch itself.

BTW people used to lodge it in-between positions to get the combinations.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Monkey! Good to know, Ill give it a bash! Although I could do with an actual switch position for middle/bridge rather than faffing with the switch….Can it be done? I can see me having to buy a different switch, would a 4 way work? 
    I can follow a diagram and solder, otherwise an electrical dimwit….
    Paul
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited July 2014
    You can't do that and have two tone controls with a single cap exactly like a Strat, but you can do it if you use separate tone caps for the neck and middle pickups.

There are two rotors on the switch, one on each side, so each switch position can select two things. If you make it bridge pickup, middle pickup, middle pickup on side 1 and nothing, nothing, neck pickup on side 2, that will give you exactly what you want. Connect the neck and middle pickups directly to their own tone pot/cap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thanks ! Paul

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Sorry, it's me failing to read the question again. :(