New Neck on my Variax 300 - Help, pretty please?

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
edited July 2014 in Making & Modding

Recent discussions around my Variax 300 have got me wanting to swap guitar necks all over the place.
Would anybody here have the time, skills, and wish to help me get a nice neck on to my Variax 300? I'd like to point out that I have no technical knowledge whatsoever, anything I say here is based on what I have read or been told here!

In essence I like how it sounds (and I suffer none of my usual noise issues), and it looks nice enough, but doesn't appeal to play and I think this is down to the neck on it.

I believe a strat size/scale neck will fit, however the holes are in the wrong place I think.

So, I see the options as thus:

1. Buy a new one from a company that makes them and try to get them to drill it for me for the Variax

2. Buy a new or second hand Fender one, and get either a repair shop or somebody here to drill it for me

Would happily pay the going rate, within reason of course - I'm not willing to rip anybody off for their time. I'm pretty sure I could screw it into place myself, and setting up with the strings action & intonation thereafter I can do fine myself, it is literally just the acquiring of a neck, and the filling/drilling of the holes I would need help with!

Thank you all so much

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I can help you with this - *BUT* I'm not going to be in a position to help for a few weeks due to work and family commitments. 

You will need a Strat neck - and really, fitting it won't be tricky... to explain:

1) Remove old neck
    2) Find a drill bit that will work for a pilot hole - not too fat not too thin.
    3) Offer the drill up to the side of the new neck - and wrap a length of tape around the bit, marking the depth at which the dill has passed through the maple but not into the rosewood
    4) Push new neck into pocket - make sure its seated right into the body
    5) Ensure neck is parallel to the bridge (use your eyes...or if you are worried, apply masking tape to the body across the scratch plate, mark the centre line of the bridge in pencil to that then align this with the centre of the marker dots on the board.
    6) Place one of the screws into each of the body screw holes in turn and push hard, so the point of the screw marks the butt of the neck. This gives you where to drill the holes.
    7) Drill
    8) Lubricate the screws (candle wax, hand soap, even grease! - just don't use loads)
    9) Screw neck onto body
    10) Set up as normal - observe the angle of the neck relative to the body, if the saddles are right down on the body of the guitar and the action is still poor, insert a shim under the body end of the neck (card does the trick fine).

Done.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    edited July 2014
    Wow thanks, wisdom awarded!

I'm in no huge rush, I've had it for a while so it can wait certainly. I have absolutely no access to any tools whatsoever though unfortunately apart from screwdrivers which I use to set up and hex keys! So would certainly need to pay somebody to do that bit for me,

I feel ok to slot it all together once done, The above methodology is brilliantly helpful and clear though, thank you ever so much 

I do feel so useless sometimes on this site, I ask so much stuff but am able to offer so little in return!!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    You're welcome. None of this stuff is Rocket Science, most of it is common sense - if anyone tells you its anything "more" than that or that they start talking about Mojo-fairy-dust or other such bollocks, walk away. I've trained unskilled labourers who have English as a second language to do exactly this job... its the set up piece that needs a bit more knowledge.

If you're still stuck come the middle of August and you can get the guitar to me (preferably come with it!!) in Daventry, I'll do the deed for you.

Keep your eyes open on Ebay or on here for a suitable neck in the meantime. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.