Lazy J20 equivalent

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited August 2014
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe;313873" said:
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree - if you're going for what's essentially a tweaked tweed circuit (as far as I know, that's what it is?) you might as well support local business. Same with pickups - why would a hand wound pickup from the USA to a certain spec be any better than one wound here?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    BluesyDave;313858" said:
    There's also Gartone Amps here in the UK.
    I tried a Gartone 18w 5E3 amp, it was fantastic!

Got me hooked on the whole tweed 5E3 circuit and the only reason I went with the Lazy J initially was the VAC circuit and the Reverb.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited August 2014
    Same here. Oh and also a couple of my guitar heros and their sounds I loved might had something to do with it. I never looked back since :)

Saying that though. Those Gartone Regal amps sound amazing

miserneil;313896" said:
    BluesyDave;313858" said:
    There's also Gartone Amps here in the UK.
    I tried a Gartone 18w 5E3 amp, it was fantastic!

Got me hooked on the whole tweed 5E3 circuit and the only reason I went with the Lazy J initially was the VAC circuit and the Reverb.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I'm not one to blow my own trumpet (even if it was physically possible....), particularly on "someone else's" thread,  but I could make something equivalent to the J20 for a starting price of around £1300.

• 5E3 based circuit, stock or tweaked to taste
    • 1x12 combo
    • 2 x 6L6, optionally 6V6
    • Built in valve driven spring reverb
    • Power Scaling
    • Celestion Blue speaker (for instance)
    • Tweed cosmetics
    • Other options as requested
    • Currently about 10 weeks wait. 50% deposit

Hope nobody minds me chipping in! :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014
    I don't mind at all. Sounds good but I think it'll have to be under £1000 for me this time.
    martinw;313951" said:
    I'm not one to blow my own trumpet (even if it was physically possible....), particularly on "someone else's" thread,  but I could make something equivalent to the J20 for a starting price of around £1300.5E3 based circuit, stock or tweaked to taste1x12 combo2 x 6L6, optionally 6V6Built in valve driven spring reverbPower ScalingCelestion Blue speaker (for instance)Tweed cosmeticsOther options as requestedCurrently about 10 weeks wait. 50% depositHope nobody minds me chipping in! :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    I've built the tweed royal which is the champ and twin deluxe in one neat package. Fitted with power scaling, a Jensen alnico speaker and sounds epic.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Strange I contacted Barry of tube Tone Engineering via email and facebook and no reply. Not a great start :(
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Looks like the 'Tube Tone Engineering' site is down or has been removed.

No Darling....I've had that ages.
    edited August 2014

So it has. Damn maybe he's stopped trading :(

Must have been something I said :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329

I said those prices looked out of date... (ie 'vinatge'!)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • hotpickups;19874" said:
    As some of you may know that I already have a J20 and been thinking of getting another for a dual set up etc. However, rather having to raise the cash for another J20 I was wondering what you guys would say to be a good equivalent in terms of sound and vibe?
    Hi there.
    In a live setting many amps will get you there. But you don't say what style you play or why you need a dual/stereo set up so it is hard to comment with any real impact.
    So let's assume you are looking for what you already have but more. Another identical amp often doesn't do that.
    The limitation of your Lazy-J amp is the fact it is a 1x12 and most likely a Blue so pointy and many frequencies are missing. No worries in a bedroom or studio. But a limitation live if you have keys, sax or other direct to pa instruments.
    Elsewhere in this site there is a secondhand ProJr with 2x10 ceramic speakers. Twin that with your 6L6 1x12 and you will have a wider tone spectrum with more vocab and the kinda sound swirl you get with a bassman or bandmaster. Still the 1x12 LJ sound you like will dominate but there will be something more pushing it along and the sound will reach more corners of the room.
    Get the right box to combine them to avoid groundloops and phasing issues. No shortcuts.
    Thanks that's really helpful. I'll check out the pro junior you mention
    PinstripePhil;316024" said:
    [quote="hotpickups;19874"]As some of you may know that I already have a J20 and been thinking of getting another for a dual set up etc. However, rather having to raise the cash for another J20 I was wondering what you guys would say to be a good equivalent in terms of sound and vibe?
    Hi there.
    In a live setting many amps will get you there. But you don't say what style you play or why you need a dual/stereo set up so it is hard to comment with any real impact.
    So let's assume you are looking for what you already have but more. Another identical amp often doesn't do that.
    The limitation of your Lazy-J amp is the fact it is a 1x12 and most likely a Blue so pointy and many frequencies are missing. No worries in a bedroom or studio. But a limitation live if you have keys, sax or other direct to pa instruments.
    Elsewhere in this site there is a secondhand ProJr with 2x10 ceramic speakers. Twin that with your 6L6 1x12 and you will have a wider tone spectrum with more vocab and the kinda sound swirl you get with a bassman or bandmaster. Still the 1x12 LJ sound you like will dominate but there will be something more pushing it along and the sound will reach more corners of the room.
    Get the right box to combine them to avoid groundloops and phasing issues. No shortcuts.
    [/quote]

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Have you considered a Tone King Falcon? There's a used one going cheap on eBay right now!
    Definitely worth a look. I love mine. Covers a nice tweed sound and there's a blackface style on the 3 way variac to give a bit more headroom.
    You mean the one that looks like a microwave/TVset :)

No offence but not really my thing really
    nickb_boy;316292" said:
    Have you considered a Tone King Falcon? There's a used one going cheap on eBay right now!
    Definitely worth a look. I love mine. Covers a nice tweed sound and there's a blackface style on the 3 way variac to give a bit more headroom.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    You need some retro in your life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • alanbass1alanbass1 Frets: 108
    edited August 2014
    chrisv said:
    I'm still over the moon with the Swart AST I bought about six months ago. Kind of a Tweed Deluxe with Blackface-style tremolo and sumptuous 'verb. 
    Definitely a good shout.  I own a Lazy J20 and an AST (fitted with a Celestion Blue) and they are very complimentary both in terms of sound and Vibe.