Whoa... Oli Brown has certainly come on since I last heard him..

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
edited July 2014 in Music
At the Wanee Music festival last year.
This is bloody lovely stuff, got shivers going up my back as I listen to it.
The sound quality is not great...and there's one duff bend, but by heck this lad has some passion.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6482
    Watching it now...Only ever seen small bits and pieces of him years back.

First impressions: Jesus...what a voice! I know this song from Gary Moore's version, and no offence to our departed friend, but he was a better guitarist than singer..This version injects some fire into the song.

Some luvverly guitar in there too..nice.

I might have to investigate this chappie a bit more...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice guy is Oli. I was fortunate enough to hear his last album "Here I am" in the studio before the press got their hands on it. Fantastic stuff. Really is a great album. Wayne Proctor's drumming is great on it.

Also, off topic, that Tele is one of the best Tele's I've played. Uber resonant.

Oli has a new project now RavenEye. They've just come off tour with Joe Satriani. I haven't had chance to see them yet...

I'd recommend Ron Sayer if you haven't heard his stuff. He was Oli's bassist for a while but is originally a guitarist. He plays a JV tele which is also very nice!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    Oli is a great player and great guy too. One of the best ive had the pleasure of seeing live... 10 times.

I still think his Vanquish Legend is his nicest sounding guitar, fell in love with it when he let me have a go. Looking forward to hearing some RavenEye

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Funny thing is, when I've heard his voice on his studio albums I've not warmed to it at all, but on these recent live performance he sounds bloody amazing. 
    I've just gone and bought his 'Songs From The Road' album and DVD on the strength of this... and he sounds great on the recordings.
    It's funny how some people and bands are terrific live, but never capture their power on studio cuts. Humble Pie were classic for this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsql said:
    Funny thing is, when I've heard his voice on his studio albums I've not warmed to it at all, but on these recent live performance he sounds bloody amazing. 
    I've just gone and bought his 'Songs From The Road' album and DVD on the strength of this... and he sounds great on the recordings.
    It's funny how some people and bands are terrific live, but never capture their power on studio cuts. Humble Pie were classic for this.
    Have you heard 'Here I Am'? I think his voice on that is unreal. I'd highly recommend it. It's a big improvement on the previous efforts (whcih I thought were ace anyway). I had friends in a similar position to you where they were put off by the early early stuff.

Great Donny Hathaway cover off it.

Another good live footage.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    I haven't seen Oli in years but he used to pop in as he was friends with the guys from Wolf Tone Amps.

Just watched the clip and he has certinly flourished in his abilities.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited July 2014

FFS I've got to say that his Songs From The Road album is monster. Can't believe what I'm listening too, it's that good. :D

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Way better in that clip than when I saw him last, he was doing very vanilla sounding blues stuff back then, bit like a younger version of Aynsley Lister.

+1 for Ron Sayer too. Seen him a couple of times and he's very good.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    That was great.

Love his voice, and the last solo was cracking.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    He always had a good voice, and as a player was a cut above from the off, where he has improved is in style (except for that hair) and TONE.  His is one of the best around now.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau