when is the right time to join a band??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 110
    Georgie said:
    Well a bass player who is older than me, got the t-shirt and likes my music styles has said he would love to help!! Eeeeekk!!! I was completely honest on the ad so I don't feel too pressured!!! Can't wait!!!
    May be worth while dropping @clare_bear a pm. She went through exactly the same thing when she joined a band and should be able to give you her experiences and advice.

dilbert  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited August 2014
    @Georgie, oops forgot to mention, that after a few gigs, fame went to her head and the dear lady went off the rails a little and not only got married but found herself with a belly full of arms and legs. You should find that most bands are not quite that selective and will settle for the odd round and occasionally helping the drummer unload his gear. 

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
    Well had a jam session with a bass player and vocalist, drummer went flaky!! Anyway both said 'see you next week' so must have gone ok. Now I just need a drummer!! Thanks guys - your comments made a difference and I have taken a big step in the right direction. Big hugs to you all!!
    edited August 2014
    Really good to hear, now you have an excuse to buy all the Gear you always wanted. :D 

Seriously, the honeymoon phase can be great fun so enjoy it and don't stress if things don't happen immediately.
    To be honest I have been sat for 6 month as a 'all the gear, no idea!!!' type so nice to be able to use it!!!

But yeah I can see me enjoying this for a very long time!!

Thanks again :D
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5670

I've "all the gear, no idea" for 20 years.........

Don't stop me annoying the neighbours though.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Well least your 'noise' would be recognisable to Joe Public - not a syllabus!!!!! lol

I wouldn't go quite that far.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dilbert said:
    @Georgie, oops forgot to mention, that after a few gigs, fame went to her head and the dear lady went off the rails a little and not only got married but found herself with a belly full of arms and legs. You should find that most bands are not quite that selective and will settle for the odd round and occasionally helping the drummer unload his gear. 

;)
    Oi!  I resemble that comment....apart from the fame bit ;)

I've just seen your PM @Georgie and will send some of my non-existent wisdom your way!

dilbert said:

;)
    Oi!  I resemble that comment....apart from the fame bit ;)

I've just seen your PM @Georgie and will send some of my non-existent wisdom your way!

;))  @clare_bear. I knew you'd rise to my cheap jibes but would have some relevant advice to offer.

Anyway, great to see (and read !) you around these parts again.   ;)
  • Eddie Van Halen once said that playing with people was like 'falling down stairs and landing on your feet or falling flat on your face' You will get there eventually, you just have to go through all the bumps for a while..
  • MoANjAm said:
    Eddie Van Halen once said that playing with people was like 'falling down stairs and landing on your feet or falling flat on your face' You will get there eventually, you just have to go through all the bumps for a while..

Sting said something like always aspire to be the worst musician in the room. I think that's good advice.
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
  • I am so glad I got all your guys advice!! Playing backing tracks is not a substitute for playing with others and there is nothing better than the feeling of when you are developing your solo and everyone in the room collectively 'feel the vibe' and raise their playing to match you. Amazing!!! Also the fun of working out starts and finishes of songs is brilliant. Something simple like 'come in after 3' can appear so straightforward but in practice can have the room in stitches. I would recommend to anyone and everyone! Thanks for giving me the confidence to get out there!!! :-bd

Playing to backing tracks is good for practicing/learning songs/techniques.

Playing with other musicians polishes these.

and @Georgie it's fantastic that you're enjoying your playing so much.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 2045
    edited September 2014
    Right time to join a band is about 12 noon when the pubs open and you can bond over a few beers! >:D<
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3856
    If ya know what key it's in, where yer fingers need to go at an approximation of 'when' they need to go there, and you know the song enough to keep the drummer happy (the bassist will be watching you, and the singer will be doing something else entirely, at least that's how it works in our band), then you'll be just fine.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."